Energy use rises
Taiwan’s energy use rose for a fourth month in December after factories boosted production to meet overseas orders.
Consumption of coal, petroleum, gas, thermal energy and electricity advanced 19 percent from a year earlier to the equivalent of 10 million kiloliters of oil, or about 2 million barrels a day, the Bureau of Energy said in an e-mailed report yesterday. Energy demand fell 2.3 percent last year.
Power consumption rose 14 percent to 18.7 billion kilowatt-hours in December, with demand from industrial companies gaining 28 percent from a year earlier.
Taiwan’s use of natural gas increased 8.5 percent to 139.1 million cubic meters, while coal consumption climbed 15 percent to 5.28 million tonnes.
Use of petroleum products rose 23 percent from a year earlier to the equivalent of 4.46 million kiloliters of oil in December, the energy bureau said.
Forex reserves at US$350.7bn
The nation’s foreign exchange reserves recorded US$350.7 billion at the end of last month, up US$2.51 million from December, the central bank said yesterday.
Lin Sun-yuan (林孫源), director-general of the central bank’s department of foreign exchange, attributed the growth to an increase in investment earnings. As of Dec. 31, Taiwan remained the world’s No. 4 in terms of the amount of foreign exchange reserves, tailing China, Japan and Russia, he said.
China’s foreign exchange reserves totaled US$2.39 trillion at the end of December, up US$126.6 billion from last September while Japan declined US$21.8 billion to US$996.6 billion from November. Russia saw a month-to-month increase of US$3.3 billion to reach US$395.6 billion in December.
Compal targets Acer
Compal Electronics Inc (仁寶電腦), the world’s largest maker of notebook computers by shipments, said it aims to get more than half of the contract-manufacturing orders for Acer Inc (宏碁) laptops this year.
“That’s our internal goal, I think we can achieve it,” Chang Chih-ming (張志銘), head of investor relations at Taipei-based Compal, said by telephone yesterday.
Compal had between 40 percent and 45 percent of Acer’s laptop orders last year, he said.
DBS focuses on Asia
Southeast Asia’s biggest bank, DBS Group Holdings, will focus on its Asian business in the next five to 10 years to tap the region’s growing affluence, the group’s new chief executive said yesterday.
Besides the domestic market, the bank intends to expand its footprint in the greater China region and in South Asia, Piyush Gupta said, in his first news conference since joining the bank in November.
In five years’ time DBS hopes to earn 40 percent of its revenues from Singapore, 30 percent from the greater China region, with the remaining 30 percent from South Asia and Southeast Asia, the bank said.
Currently, the bank earns slightly more than 60 percent of its income from Singapore and close to 30 percent from greater China, which includes Hong Kong and Taiwan.
Chinese surplus falls
China’s current account surplus, a key gauge of a nation’s foreign trade, fell last year for the first time in eight years, official data showed yesterday, as the global crisis hit exporters last year.
China booked a current account surplus of US$284.1 billion last year, down 35 percent from 2008, the State Administration of Foreign Exchange said in a statement on its Web site.
It was the first time since 2001 that China’s surplus declined, Xinhua news agency reported.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his