JPMorgan Chase & Co reported deep losses on mortgage and credit card loans in the fourth quarter, damping hopes that consumer credit is on the mend.
Strong investment banking results helped quarterly profit soar to US$3.3 billion, topping Wall Street expectations. But analysts had been hoping for signs that the bank’s credit costs were leveling off or even starting to fall, particularly for consumer loans.
“Consumer credit may be close to a bottom here, but it’s not getting better, and people wanted JPMorgan to say it’s getting better,” said Ralph Cole, portfolio manager at Ferguson Wellman Capital Management, which owns JPMorgan shares.
Losses at the second-largest US bank were in line with typically cautious guidance the bank had given in recent months but its projections for this year were hardly any more sunny.
“We don’t know when the recovery is,” chief executive Jamie Dimon said during a conference call with investors.
JPMorgan is the first of the major banks to report fourth-quarter numbers and its results may bode ill for competitors.
The New York-based bank’s overall quarterly profit amounted to US$0.74 a share, beating analysts’ average estimate of US$0.61, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Year-earlier earnings were US$702 million, or US$0.06 a share.
Revenue, excluding the impact of assets that have been packaged into bonds and largely sold to investors, totaled US$25.2 billion, falling short of analysts’ average forecast of US$26.8 billion.
JPMorgan shares were down 1.7 percent to US$43.90 in afternoon trading. Shares of other major banks were also lower, weighing on the broader market.
“The logic is, as goes JPMorgan, so goes the rest of the banks,” said Matt McCormick, portfolio manager and banking analyst at Bahl & Gaynor Investment Counsel in Cincinnati.
The bank’s large mortgage and credit card businesses have seen rising credit costs in the last year, offset only by record investment banking revenue.
Losses even on prime mortgages almost tripled to US$568 million compared to a year earlier. The bank set aside a total of US$4.2 billion to cover mortgage, home-equity and other consumer loan losses in the fourth quarter, up US$653 million from the same quarter a year earlier.
To be sure, total credit losses excluding the impact of securitizations actually slipped to US$7.8 billion from a high of US$8.1 billion in the third quarter.
But much of that decline is because of a reduction in credit card losses related to a May offer allowing card customers to defer payments for a month. That deferral slowed the pace at which customers were delinquent at the end of last year, and pushed some customer defaults into the first quarter of this year. Total credit losses were up 72 percent from the fourth quarter a year earlier.
“JPMorgan is the bellwether, it is the best, most well-capitalized, best-managed bank,” said Jamie Cox, managing partner at Harris Financial Group in Colonial Heights, Virginia. “You would hope they’d be the first bank to be able to begin the process of paring down loan loss reserves.”
JPMorgan’s credit losses could indicate further trouble for Citigroup Inc, which reports quarterly results on Tuesday, and Bank of America Corp, which reports on Wednesday. Both banks have large consumer exposure. Bank of America shares fell 3 percent to US$16.31, while Citi shares fell 1.4 percent to US$3.46.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his