Acer Inc (宏碁), the world’s second-largest computer supplier, will boost sales training and expand its China retail network by 30 percent as it chases Lenovo Group Ltd (聯想) and Hewlett-Packard Co in the fastest-growing major PC market.
Acer also will advertise more after customer interviews pointed to a lack of recognition contributing to its fifth place position in the company’s top priority market, country head Oliver Ahrens said in an interview. The company will raise its profile in computer malls, where 80 percent of China’s PC sales are made.
Acer overtook Dell Inc as the world’s No. 2 PC vendor last quarter yet isn’t replicating that success in China, where Lenovo dominates with 29.4 percent of the market. Ahrens took over on April 1 and is revamping Acer’s marketing, product line and vendor training.
“This has been done very well by Lenovo, by HP, by Dell,” Ahrens said. “There’s something Acer was lagging behind, and now we are spending efforts to improve this.”
China’s PC sales volume will rise an average of 18 percent annually during the next five years, compared with 8 percent globally, and the nation will be the world’s biggest computer market by 2013, said Bryan Ma (馬伯遠), director of Personal Systems Research for Asia at Framingham, Massachusetts-based IDC Corp.
The China operation depended too much on local distributors for marketing and sales while headquarters focused on making acquisitions and boosting US and Europe sales, said Gokul Hariharan at JPMorgan Securities Inc in Hong Kong.
“It’s a low-cost model, but you’re not running your own business,” Hariharan said. “You still need people on the ground to track demand and see for yourself how things are going.”
Acer’s struggles in China prompted chairman Wang Jeng-tang (王振堂) to replace Lay Tai-yueh (賴泰岳) with Ahrens, who ran the Europe, Middle East and Africa peripherals business, including monitors and projectors.
Ahrens, 44, who joined the company in 1991, employed a different approach. He participated in focus groups, visited two customers’ homes and listened through an earpiece as staff polled shoppers in electronic malls about their habits.
Ahrens went to a family’s house in Weinan, central China, and learned that the Chinese father, who earned 4,500 yuan (US$660) a month as a civil servant, visited the mall as many as 10 times in three months before buying a new laptop.
“The people here grew up with a lot of quite cheap offers, but the quality of the product was not very good,” Ahrens said. “If I did not do this, maybe I would have put the focus on, say, ‘Acer: We are super-affordable. Buy us,’ and that would be totally wrong.”
Acer is No. 1 in laptops in Latin America, and in Europe, the Middle East and Africa; and No. 3 in the U.S. But in China, Lenovo leads with 30.3 percent of the market, followed by HP, Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), Dell and Acer, which own 7.4 percent, IDC data showed.
“They did not prioritize China,” said Calvin Huang (黃文堯) at Daiwa Securities Group Inc in Taipei. “If they fail there, definitely the company fails.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his