Tourism revenue from Chinese visitors over the past months have been far below the expectations of the Tourism Bureau, with the number of visitors and their level of spending in Taiwan falling short of estimates, a survey conducted by the Institute for Business Development (IBD, 商業發展研究院) said.
IBD vice president Tu Tze-chen (杜紫宸) said at a press briefing yesterday that based on the monthly average of between 70,000 and 80,000 arrivals from China, it was estimated that the total for this year would be about 900,000, way below the Tourism Bureau’s forecast of 1.6 million visitors.
Through interviews with 28 experienced tour guides and the observations of IBD researchers who posed as tour guides to collect information on tourists’ consumption behavior, the institute drafted an analysis on the benefits to the tourism sector from the opening to Chinese visitors.
The report indicates that, to the disappointment of the travel sector, Chinese tourists each spend an average of NT$35,244 for an eight-day, seven-night stay in Taiwan, which means that revenues from Chinese tourists this year may not reach the Tourism Bureau’s projected NT$30 billion, which is based on an estimated average spending figure of NT$62,601 per person.
IBD researcher Lee Chu-yuan (李竺姮) said the average expenditure of Chinese tourists was far less than expected, partly because of cutthroat competition among travel agencies.
With the itineraries of low-budget tour groups mostly confined to night markets and cursory tours of scenic spots such as Alishan and Sun Moon Lake, Chinese tourists have hardly had the opportunity to appreciate Taiwan’s attractions and culture and therefore might not come again, Lee said.
The IBD analysis shows that 70 percent of the Chinese tourists to Taiwan over the past few months were people from rural areas, over 40 years of age, looking forward to fulfilling a dream of “going to Taiwan,” and expecting intensive tours during which they would see a wide variety of places.
Tu said Taiwan’s tourism sector should help Chinese tourists develop an appreciation for delicacies like Din Tai Fung (鼎泰豐) dumplings and for music stores, coffee shops, wineries and the tea houses of the Eslite (誠品) bookstore chain.
He said that both the government and the tourism sector should target white-collar workers and young people in China and design theme tours of special interest to them.
As many Taiwanese corporations are now preparing to hold year-end parties for their employees, Tu said, corporations with branches in China should consider inviting their Chinese employees to attend the celebrations in Taiwan. Such a gesture of company unity can also serve as a type of tourism promotion, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort