The Malaysian state of Johor said its economic zone, which has the nation’s largest number of Middle Eastern investors, should be unscathed by the Dubai debt crisis, reports said yesterday.
Dubai World, the city state’s flagship conglomerate, announced on Wednesday that it was seeking a six-month reprieve from its US$59 billion debt payments, sending global stocks into a nosedive on fears of a default.
The chief minister of southern Johor state, Abdul Ghani Othman, told the Star daily only one Dubai company, Damac Properties, had invested in the Iskandar special economic zone.
PHOTO: REUTERS
“Since only one company from Dubai is involved in Iskandar, we don’t think the Dubai financial crisis would have an effect on the regional growth area,” he told the paper. “Most of the investors in the growth area are from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Abu Dhabi.”
An aide to Abdul Ghani confirmed his comments to reporters, saying the Dubai company had yet to begin operations in the area.
He said total investment for Iskandar, which was launched in 2006, had hit US$13 billion so far, with about 15 percent coming from Middle Eastern investors. Almost three times bigger than neighboring Singapore, the Iskandar region is planned to be Malaysia’s largest economic zone upon completion in 2025, by which time the government hopes to have created 800,000 jobs and attracted about US$100 billion in investment.
Separately, the impact of the Dubai debt crisis on South Korean markets will also be limited, the nation’s regulator said yesterday.
“The chance of this expanding into an outright systemic risk like Lehman Brothers is pretty low,” the Financial Services Commission said in a statement on its Web site. “Still, we’ll monitor the possibility of an escalation into instability in global financial markets and will make preparations.”
South Korean companies had a combined US$32 million in loans and investments associated with Dubai World and its property unit Nakheel PJSC at the end of September, the Financial Supervisory Service said on Friday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his