The US pushed ahead on Friday with two new investigations into charges of unfair trade practices by China, but rejected a third case one week ahead of US President Barack Obama’s trip to Asia.
US lawmakers also asked Obama to renew his support for legislation targeting China’s exchange rate practices.
The US International Trade Commission (ITC) approved investigations into imports of glossy magazine-quality paper from China and Indonesia totaling hundreds of millions of dollars, as well as certain types of salt from China that are used in cleaning products, food additives and fertilizer.
The votes came one day after the US Commerce Department slapped preliminary anti-dumping duties on about US$2.6 billion in steel pipes from China used in the oil and gas sector. Those were in addition to preliminary countervailing duties set on the pipe in September to offset Chinese subsidies.
The steel pipe case is biggest US trade action against China to date and Beijing quickly denounced the new duties.
It also launched its own investigation into imports of US automobiles and sports utility vehicles, which it says have benefited from a long list of incentives and tax breaks granted by the US government and the state of Michigan.
Meanwhile, a bipartisan group of 45 lawmakers in the House of Representatives urged Obama in a letter to declare support for their bill allowing the Commerce Department to slap duties on imports from countries with “misaligned currencies.”
The bill is aimed mainly at China, which lawmakers accused of deliberately undervaluing its currency against the dollar to give its firms an unfair trade advantage.
They blame China’s exchange rate practices for a big chunk of the US trade deficit with China, which totaled US$143.7 billion in first eight months of this year.
Since taking office in January, the Obama administration has launched at least a dozen trade probes against China in response to petitions filed by US companies or unions. US law requires the ITC, an independent trade body, to approve any investigation launched by the Commerce Department.
In a relatively rare example of that, the ITC on Friday rejected an inquiry into whether China and Taiwan were subsidizing and dumping certain steel fasteners in the US. It said there was not enough evidence US manufacturer Nucor Fastener had been harmed or threatened with harm by the imports.
Of the two cases approved by the ITC on Friday, the one involving glossy paper was a victory for the United Steelworkers union, a driving force behind the steel pipe case and Obama’s decision in September to slap a 35 percent duty on Chinese-made tires.
“We cannot stand by and let imports unfairly take away our good jobs and shutdown factories,” Leo Gerard, president of the steelworkers union said in a statement.
But US paper importer, Global Paper Solutions, blasted the ruling, which it said was unwarranted and sent a protectionist message ahead of Obama’s 10-day trip to Japan, Singapore, China and South Korea beginning this week.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his