The auction of the five-star Agora Garden (亞太會館) hotel in Taipei attracted only one buyer, BES Engineering Corp (中華工程), whose majority shareholder owns the property for sale, fueling claims that the hotel was overpriced, a realtor said yesterday.
“It is more than likely Agora is overpriced,” Stanley Su (蘇啟榮), senior researcher at Sinyi Realty Co (信義房屋), Taiwan’s only listed property broker, said by telephone.
“That would explain why there was only one bidder. That the buyer is affiliated with the seller lends further support to my theory,” he said.
The engineering company said price negotiations were still under way and would require final approval from its board of directors and shareholders.
The Core Pacific Group (威京集團), which owns both the hotel and BES Engineering, told local media a day earlier that BES had made an offer higher than the floor price of NT$15 billion (US$463.4 million).
The hotel sits on a 2,468 ping (0.82 hectare) plot of land in Xinyi District (信義) and has 14 floors above ground and four underground. It is being marketed as an ideal site for developing upscale housing units.
Billy Yen (顏炳立), general manager of international real estate consultancy DTZ (戴德梁行), which was commissioned to organize the bidding, said whatever the closing price, the property would prove a bargain years from now in light of the scarcity of land and an expected influx of Chinese capital.
“The local commercial property market is bound to boom on warming cross-strait trade ties,” he said.
Yen said a Hong Kong investor had expressed interest but backed off after the government questioned the legality of the purchase of Nan Shan Life Insurance Co (南山人壽) by a consortium led by Primus Financial Holdings Ltd and Hong Kong-based China Strategic Holdings Ltd (中策集團) earlier this month.
“The implication that Chinese capital pulled the strings behind the [Nan Shan] acquisition scared away the Hong Kong investor,” Yen said.
Su, however, disagreed, saying profitability was investors’ main concern.
The apparent lack of interest in Agora Garden indicates that the nation’s luxury housing market would find it difficult to achieve prices of more than NT$3 million per ping if a luxury housing project is to be rebuilt on the hotel’s site.
Su said that while improving cross-strait trade ties were favorable for the local property market, it was too early to tell what the exact impact would be.
Investors are likely to take a wait-and-see approach, given the huge amount required for the deal, he said.
Meanwhile, Bank SinoPac (永豐銀行) yesterday auctioned off a 721.83 ping plot of land near Chinese Culture University in Taipei to Tonlin Department Store Co (統領百貨) for a record high in the area of NT$628.88 million, or NT$871,200 per ping.
The new buyer outbid three other bidders and closed the land sale at a 50 percent premium on the bank’s asking price of NT$420 million.
Chiu Tai-hsuan (邱太煊), a real estate analyst at Taiwan Realty Co (台灣房屋), estimated that a new housing project to be built at the site was likely to sell for between NT$850,000 and NT$1 million per ping, according to a statement released yesterday.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JOYCE HUANG
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his