The first firm to be prosecuted in Britain for overseas corruption and breaching UN sanctions is to pay £6.6 million (US$10.55 million) in fines and penalties, the UK’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) said.
Bridge manufacturer Mabey & Johnson was convicted of two corruption charges relating to contracts in Jamaica and Ghana between 1993 and 2001.
It also pleaded guilty to applying for contracts under the Iraq oil-for-food program in 2001-2002 in breach of UN sanctions.
London’s Southwark Crown Court was told the company paid out £1 million in sweeteners it thought helped it to win contracts worth £60 million, the Press Association reported.
A subsequent investigation found it had also paid bribes to individuals in Madagascar, Angola, Mozambique and Bangladesh.
The penalties paid by the firm, which is now under new management, include fines of £3.5 million, a confiscation order of £1.1 million and total reparations of just more than £1.4 million to Ghana, Iraq and Jamaica, as well as costs.
SFO director Richard Alderman called the ruling “a landmark outcome.”
Five of the company’s eight directors stepped down early last year after the company approached the Serious Fraud Office itself to say it might have engaged in corrupt practices and a new management team was installed.
“What our company did in the past is a matter of deep regret,” managing director Peter Lloyd said. “We have now made a fresh start, having wiped the slate clean of these offenses. These costs will hurt the company and they are a real punishment.”
Ghanaian President John Atta Mills has now launched investigations into whether Ghanaian politicians had accepted bribes, the country’s attorney-general Betty Mould-Iddrisu said.
“The president is concerned and has directed that we investigate the whole matter to get further information from the United Kingdom authorities on what’s gone on and if there’s any current action,” she told reporters.
Lawyers said the conviction marked a watershed and sent out a warning to other British firms.
“It is just one of many signs of the renewed vigor on the part of the UK authorities to tackle overseas corruption,” Michael Roberts, a corruption and bribery lawyer at international law firm Lovells.
“Particularly with tough new legislation currently before parliament in the shape of the Bribery Bill, corporates more than ever need to be alert to the risks of corruption and to ensure that they have adequate systems and controls in place,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his