A leading French business newspaper is launching a multilingual version of its Web site using automatic translation, dispensing with journalists but producing often comic results.
“Ryanair loan to make travel of the passengers upright,” read a typically bizarre headline on La Tribune’s site this week above a story in equally mangled English on the low-cost airline’s plans to make people fly standing up.
“The Chinese car in ambush,” “Internet Explorer: mistrust!” and “Assets of the continental right in management of the crisis” were some other mysterious headlines the same day on the site, which is still in an experimental phase.
But the paper’s editors are confident that the project will, once the software is refined and a human hired to tweak the texts, open La Tribune to a potentially huge international audience.
“The aim is to be able to offer business news in different languages to reach a new public on the Internet,” said Astrid Arbey, head of new media at the newspaper, France’s second-biggest-selling business daily.
The project involves the French Web site being translated in real time by computer software into English, German, Spanish and Italian, with Japanese and Chinese to come by the end of the year. Most of the English articles on La Tribune’s site were, with a little effort, understandable despite their many linguistic oddities.
SKILL
But it is generally accepted that translation software cannot, as Google Translate admits on its site, “approach the fluency of a native speaker or possess the skill of a professional translator.”
Arbey acknowledged that the results on La Tribune were still far from ideal, but said that the software was being continually updated and that within a few months it would achieve “almost perfect” news articles.
Britain’s BBC has an entirely different model for the news Web site it provides in 30 different languages, staffed by hundreds of journalists, and says it has no plans to cut costs by following La Tribune’s lead.
Spokesman Mike Gardner, who declined to comment directly on the French paper’s approach, said that some of the BBC’s online content was translated, but that this was always done by journalists.
“The whole point is that if you want news that has a resonance, you want journalists doing that,” he said.
In Spain, the EFE news agency has been using computers for years to translate Spanish copy into Portuguese and Catalan. But all the copy is revised by editors before being published.
“This system is possible because Spanish, Portuguese and Catalan are similar languages,” an agency spokesman said. “But we don’t think it is possible for English, for example, and we have translators for our English service.”
La Tribune currently has one person dealing with the foreign-language sites and plans to soon hire another person to tweak the English-language articles, Arbey said.
That approach, some journalists at the paper said, is typical of the cost-cutting mentality of Alain Weill, the media entrepreneur who bought the daily last year.
MEDIOCRITY
“The quality [of the foreign-language sites] is really mediocre because there is no journalistic intervention,” said one journalist, who asked not to be named.
Worse, he said, the sites “damage the image of La Tribune,” which in France has a reputation as a serious newspaper aimed at the banking, financial and business world.
No other French newspaper has gone down this road, said the journalist, because they know that automatic translation “doesn’t work in journalism.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his