After massive interest rate cuts, central banks worldwide including the US Federal Reserve and Taiwan’s central bank will maintain a loose monetary policy before the year’s end, Arjuna Mahendran, Hong Kong-based managing director and head of investment strategy for Asia at HSBC Private Bank, said yesterday.
“They will adopt a wait-and-see policy [as global economic fundamentals remain volatile],” he told an outlook briefing in Taipei.
The bank forecast a contraction of 1.9 percent for the global economy this year and 1.6 percent growth for next year.
Although the recession may be over or nearing an end, global equity markets including Taiwan’s main bourse will remain volatile in the next three months as uncertainties creep in, Mahendran said.
However, he expressed a positive view on global markets in a year’s time, saying financial markets around the world would be in a better position than now.
“Our recommendation is to trade the markets over the next three months and, once you see a big dip in stock or commodities markets, wait for the dip and buy for the longer term,” Mahendran said at his presentation, entitled “We should hasten slowly.”
The near-zero funding cost, strong money supply and low inflation and asset prices provide incentives for investors to look for investment opportunities, he said, adding that demand from both developed and developing countries is growing.
However, the question of when and whether US consumption, which Mahendran described as the only engine of the anticipated global economic recovery, will turn around was uncertain, along with rising unemployment, declining property prices and slow credit re-leveraging in the US.
The economist, however, argued that the US’ saving rate would stay at its current 5 percent level, up from almost zero percent in 2005, since the US stock market had bottomed out after March 9.
It was still unclear whether US consumption would turn around since property prices are expected to see “another 10 percent decline,” he said.
While new home sales have picked up in the past two months, the bank believed that the US housing market is likely to bottom out in six months.
When both share and property prices begin to rise, US consumers will start buying, said Mahendran, who is pessimistic that China will be able to ramp up its spending to make up for the loss of demand from the US over the next 10 years.
Mahendran said he was in favor of cash and US bonds over equities, commodities or Asian bonds in the next three months.
He disagreed with views that the US dollar would eventually collapse because of over-borrowing by the US government.
However, Mahendran agreed that the US dollar would further weaken to trade at between US$1.35 and US$1.45 to the euro by the end of this year, and favored Asian currencies such as the South Korean won and the Singapore dollar.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his