The sale of bankrupt automaker Chrysler LLC to a group including Italian carmaker Fiat SpA and the US government was upheld by a US appeals court on Friday, but the deal is expected to be appealed to the Supreme Court by a group of investors.
A three-judge panel of the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit stayed the closing of the sale until tomorrow afternoon or until the Supreme Court decides whether to hear an appeal.
If the sale is allowed to close, a “New Chrysler” will exit bankruptcy tomorrow, reorganizing the automaker in less than 60 days as demanded by the White House.
The decision also reinforces the case of General Motors Corp (GM), which is using a similar quick-sale strategy in its bankruptcy.
The appeals court said it would issue a written order later on Friday. The judges returned their decision 10 minutes after lawyers finished presenting their arguments.
“There’s one more stop on the train,” Tom Lauria, a lawyer for the Indiana pension funds at White & Case, which appealed the sale order, told reporters after the decision.
Earlier this week a bankruptcy court judge approved the sale of most of Chrysler to a group led by Fiat, a union-aligned trust and the governments of the US and Canada. The group agreed to pay US$2 billion to secured lenders, who were owed US$6.9 billion.
Meanwhile, GM has reached a deal to sell its Saturn brand to the Penske Automotive Group in a move saving some 350 dealerships and 13,000 jobs in the US, GM said on Friday.
The deal comes just days after GM filed for bankruptcy protection as it struggles to overcome enormous debt and slumping sales.
It also comes after GM announced the sale of its hulking Hummer brand to Chinese industrial machinery firm Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co (四川騰中重工機械) last week and has also reached a deal to sell its European brand Opel to a Canadian-Russian consortium.
The Saturn deal would grant Penske, a big auto dealership operator, the rights to the Saturn brand and its distribution network and assets including its inventory.
GM said a memorandum of understanding calls for the automaker to continue to produce Saturn cars on a contract basis, including the Saturn Aura sedan and the Vue and Outlook sport utility vehicles.
That contract would last at least two years and then Penske would begin importing vehicles produced by a foreign automaker, the Detroit News reported.
If completed, GM said, “the deal would save more than 350 dealerships and 13,000 jobs at Saturn and its retailers in the United States, and would preserve the customer-focused Saturn brand.”
It is expected to close in the third quarter of this year. Financial terms were not disclosed.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his