Worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX) customer premises equipment (CPE) shipments by local companies are expected to reach 413,000 units in the second quarter and 485,000 units in the third quarter, up from the first quarter’s 264,000 units, a Taipei-based research institute said on Friday, citing rush orders and higher demand.
The Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute (MIC, 產業情報研究所) said that in the first quarter, many local manufacturers of WiMAX CPE were unable to fulfill orders on time because of a sudden rush of requests and the subsequent shortage of components.
But in this quarter and next quarter, MIC says component shortages will not be an issue and suppliers will be able to deliver on time.
Since last year, domestic equipment makers have invested heavily into research and development of 802.16e WiMAX products.
The IEEE Standards Association approved the 802.16e mobile wireless standard in December 2005, amending the original 802.16 transmission standard to facilitate high data-rate transmission and voice communication from moving vehicles.
“With the accumulated expertise in 802.16e technology, local manufacturers have already finished end product testing, enabling them to receive international WiMAX CPE orders, which will be an added boost to the second and third quarter shipment numbers,” MIC analyst Yen Xiang-yu (顏向瑜) wrote in the report.
MIC is betting heavily on the worldwide trend toward wireless technology and sees great opportunities for Taiwan WiMAX CPE makers.
“WiMAX licensed operators such as Japan’s UQ Communications Inc and Malaysia’s Packet One Networks are already in their initial or trial stages for mass wireless services. So are many telecommunications service providers in emerging markets, which are ready to take part in this next wave of technology,” Yen said.
Looking at the WiMAX product mix in the first quarter, MIC said that 90 percent of the first quarter’s shipments were comprised of 16e models.
“Compared with 802.16e, 802.16d products shipments will continue to decline because 16e models have better downward adaptability to a variety of existing machines and equipments. Hence, the future mainstream CPE product will definitely be 16e-related,” Yen said.
Even though the first quarter’s shipment total stayed at the same level as the previous quarter ***--*** 264,000 units ***--*** the total shipment value dropped 22.4 percent quarter-on-quarter to US$29.5 million because of the few suppliers that had inventory on hand, but drove down average selling cost in order to secure orders and build long-term business partnerships with buyers.
Meanwhile, MIC predicted in a separate report that Taiwan’s digital cable set-top boxes chip shipments would see a 3.2 percent increase year-on-year to 2.31 million units this quarter, compared with first quarter’s 2.14 million units, or annual growth of 5.5 percent.
MIC said the total number of digital TV subscribers around the world came to 133 million people last year, growing 34 percent from the previous year.
The primary locations for digital TV remains the US and Europe, the report said.
“As cable providers in the US and Europe push for digital TV and provide many incentives for existing customers to make the switch, they are also waging a battle against competitors in order to woo their clients amid the technology upgrade. Hence, all these activities will no doubt increase the demand for cable set-top boxes and related equipment suppliers,” the report said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his