Innolux shares hit fresh high
Innolux Display Corp (群創光電), the world’s second-largest assembler of flat-screen computers, rose to its highest level in eight months in Taipei trading after Macquarie Group Ltd increased its target price on the stock.
Miaoli-based Innolux gained 4.7 percent to NT$45.5 as of 1:20pm, set for the highest close since Sept. 9, while the benchmark TAIEX index rose 1.2 percent.
Macquarie increased Innolux’s target price to NT$57 from NT$34, saying Sony Corp’s restructuring plan should benefit Innolux because it would result in more LCD TV outsourcing business. The research house kept its rating on the company at “outperform.”
“We believe Sony is among one of several top-tier TV brands that Innolux will ship to this year,” Macquarie analysts Nicholas Teo and Joyce Wang wrote in a report yesterday.
Sony forecast a straight second full-year loss on Thursday and said it would stop making LCD TVs and electronic cables at two plants in Indonesia and in the US.
Vietnam approves joint venture
China Steel (中鋼) said yesterday authorities in Vietnam approved its application to set up a joint venture there with Japan’s Sumitomo Metal Industries.
In a statement, China Steel said it received approval from the Vietnamese government last week to establish the joint venture, to be capitalized at US$1.15 billion with Sumitomo Metal Industries and Taiwanese partners.
China Steel will take a 51 percent stake in the new venture, China Steel Sumikin Vietnam Joint Stock Co, which is expected to produce 1.6 million tonnes of cold rolled steel products annually for auto and home appliance use.
While the global economy has been hit hard, “the partners of the joint venture will go ahead with the project based on our long term investment strategies,” China Steel said in the statement.
The joint venture is aimed at ASEAN markets.
Airbus passes test flight
The first Airbus A320 plane assembled outside Europe made a successful four-hour test flight from Tianjin, China, yesterday, Airbus said.
“This A320 assembled in China unquestionably demonstrated the same quality and performance as those assembled and delivered in Hamburg or Toulouse,” Fernando Alonso, head of flight testing for Airbus, said in a statement.
The first Tianjin-assembled A320 is scheduled to be delivered to Dragon Aviation Leasing next month for operation by Sichuan Airlines.
Airbus said it has orders for more than 700 planes from Chinese customers, mostly for models from the A320 series.
Its Tianjin assembly line is scheduled to deliver 11 A319 or A320 planes this year.
The assembly plant, opened in September, is a joint-venture between Airbus and a Beijing-backed consortium.
Chinese state media last year said total investment in the plant was between 8 billion yuan and 12 billion yuan (US$1.2 billion to US$1.8 billion).
NT dollar loses ground
The New Taiwan dollar fell to its lowest level in more than a week as economic reports damped optimism that a global recession is abating, prompting investors to seek safer bets than emerging-market assets. Bonds advanced.
The NT dollar fell against the greenback after overseas investors cut their holdings of local shares for each of the past six days and a technical indicator showed a reversal of direction was due.
The currency fell 0.1 percent to close at NT$32.994, according to Taipei Forex Inc. It earlier touched NT$33.15, the weakest level since May 7.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his