Shares close higher
Taiwanese shares opened low and closed higher yesterday, with the weighted TAIEX index advancing 52.59 points, or 0.82 percent, to close at 6,485.14.
Rebounding from losses the previous day, the local bourse opened at 6,449.46 and fluctuated between 6,512.07 and 6,435.49 before closing above the index’s 10-year moving average of 6,470.
A total of 6.22 billion shares changed hands on market turnover of NT$159.84 billion (US$4.87 billion).
The weighted index is not expected to move higher in the coming days, said Wang Chao-li (王兆立), an analyst at Polaris Financial Group (寶來金融集團), adding that the share index would likely to rise in the near future.
Hontai, Taikang plan deal
Hontai Life Insurance Co (宏泰人壽), the nation’s seventh-largest life insurer by premium income, is planning cross-shareholding with China’s Taikang Life Insurance Co (泰康人壽) in a bid to tap the Chinese market, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported yesterday, without citing sources.
Hontai said on Tuesday it would sell 11 percent of its shares to Japan’s Taiyo Life Insurance Co for NT$1.07 billion (US$32.5 million). Chairman David Jou (周國瑞) said the firm was in talks with some Chinese insurers on potential cooperation.
The paper said Hontai would and Taikang would discuss details next week in Beijing. Jou rebutted the report.
Food companies eye Fujian
The Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA, 外貿協會) will organize a trade mission with representatives from 50 local food companies to Fuzhou and Xiamen in China’s Fujian Province later this month, a TAITRA official said on Monday.
The aim of the mission is to explore the market for Taiwan’s products. The group will leave on May 21.
The mission will conduct talks with supermarket chains in Xiamen, including Trust-Mart, Carrefour, Walmart and RT-Mart.
Telecoms to buy equipment
Several Chinese telecoms operators are scheduled to procure between NT$30 billion and NT$40 billion in communications products in Taiwan next month, the Chinese-language Commercial Times reported yesterday.
The report, citing unnamed officials at the Ministry of Economic Affairs, said Chinese companies such as China Mobile Ltd (中國移動), China Telecom Corp (中國電信), Datang Telecom Technology Co (大唐) and ZTE Corp (中興) would place orders with Taiwanese makers including HTC Corp (宏達電), Asustek Computer Inc (華碩) and Zyxel Communications Corp (合勤).
Seoul to spend on ‘green’ IT
South Korea said yesterday it would spend more than US$3 billion over the next five years to develop information technology (IT) as an “eco-friendly” growth engine.
The Presidential Committee on Green Growth said the government would put 4.2 trillion won (US$3.4 billion) into 10 projects by 2013.
They include creating energy-saving versions of products like personal computers, TVs, displays and servers, as well as developing energy-efficient IT service networks including high-speed Internet lines.
NT dollar gains ground
The New Taiwan dollar gained ground against the US dollar on the Taipei Foreign Exchange yesterday, rising NT$0.003 to close at NT$32.890.
A total of US$1.12 billion changed hands during the day’s trading.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his