Chrysler’s efforts to restructure under the watchful eye of a bankruptcy judge picked up momentum on Friday after a group of creditors dropped their objections.
The next major hurdle in the restructuring is the elimination of nearly 25 percent of the troubled automaker’s 3,200 dealerships across the US, industry observers said. The creditor group, which initially held about US$1 billion in bonds, had objected to the plan by US President Barack Obama’s administration to reduce Chrysler’s debt to help create a partnership with Italy’s Fiat.
Many of them quickly backed down after Obama publicly chastised the investment firms and hedge funds, who were largely blamed for pushing the storied automaker into bankruptcy.
NINE CREDITORS
Only nine creditors with less than US$300 million in debt retained their objections by Friday afternoon.
“After a great deal of soul-searching and quite frankly agony, Chrysler’s non-TARP [Troubled Asset Relief Program] lenders concluded they just don’t have the critical mass to withstand the enormous pressure and machinery of the US government,” their lawyer, Tom Lauria, said in a statement. “As a result, they have collectively withdrawn their participation in the court case.”
The group is identified as the Chrysler Non-TARP Lenders because the members have not received aid under the government relief program, a US$700 billion measure to stabilize the financial system.
Oppenheimer was one of three funds to back down on Friday morning.
It said it withdrew its opposition because “given the reduced number of senior creditors willing to continue to pursue an alternative,” it determined that “senior creditors can no longer reasonably expect to increase the recovery rate on the debt they hold.”
‘UNFAIR’
Lauria said the remaining creditors still consider the proposal to be unfair and contrary to basic “legal, financial and business principals” and do not intend to consent to the proposal “despite their inability to continue active opposition to the stripping of their rights in the bankruptcy process.”
Chrysler, which filed for bankruptcy protection on April 30, said it hoped to wrap up the court process in 30 days to 60 days by selling the automaker’s principal assets to a new company.
The new firm would be majority owned by the United Auto Workers union, with small stakes by the US and Canadian governments, which would contribute some US$10.5 billion to the venture.
Italian automaker Fiat would initially take a 20 percent stake in the firm that would rise to 35 percent and could reach 51 percent as early as 2013 if Chrysler is able to repay its government loans.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his