Japan said yesterday it expects the economy to shrink 3.3 percent over the coming year, its worst slump in at least half a century, as the government presses ahead with a record stimulus package.
The projected downturn in fiscal year 2009, which began this month, would be the worst since Tokyo began measuring growth in 1955, and follows an estimated decline of 3.1 percent in fiscal 2008, the government said.
Finance Minister Kaoru Yosano said the economy had continued to worsen rapidly since late last year.
“Against the backdrop of a global recession, exports and production have fallen sharply while employment is deteriorating rapidly,” Yosano said in parliament.
“The financial climate, such as corporate fund-raising, is also severe. Our country is surely in a state that can be called an economic crisis,” he said.
The economy began shrinking in the second quarter of 2007 and suffered an annualized contraction of 12.1 percent in the last three months of last year as the global downturn crushed exports, the country’s main growth engine.
The Japanese economy probably shrank at an annualized pace of 14 percent in the fiscal fourth quarter to last month, the Cabinet Office estimated, as it tore up its previous forecast for zero growth in the coming year.
The projected contraction in fiscal 2009 would surpass the 1.5 percent drop seen in 1998 during Japan’s so-called “lost decade” of recession and deflation.
The bleak outlook comes despite a planned ¥15.4 trillion (US$150 billion) stimulus spending plan that the government says should boost economic output by two percent this fiscal year.
Yosano said that Japan needed to reduce its dependency on foreign demand.
“In compiling the economic package, we have strictly selected policies that are necessary to support the economy and would enhance future growth power,” he said, citing measures to create jobs and investment in green technologies.
The government will issue ¥10.8 trillion in bonds to cover the extra spending, lifting Japan’s annual issuance to a record ¥44.1 trillion, adding to pressure on the country’s debt-laden public coffers.
Yosano vowed to strive for fiscal discipline for the medium term while saying it was “a common recognition in the international community” that increased public spending was necessary to overcome the current crisis.
While the government’s forecasts are bleak, recent data have sparked hopes that the slump in the Japanese economy may be easing, with exports showing signs of bottoming out and machinery orders unexpectedly rebounding.
Analysts say figures to be released this week may show that factory output in Japan picked up for the first time in six months last month.
Consumer spending is expected to remain sluggish and there are growing worries about unemployment, which analysts warn could rise above its post-war high of 5.5 percent because of the current slump.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort