Citigroup Inc, rescued by three US government bailouts, may sell its Japanese retail brokerage to Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc, two people with knowledge of the matter said.
New York-based Citigroup selected Sumitomo Mitsui as the preferred buyer for Nikko Cordial Securities Inc after Japan’s second-largest bank by market value outbid rivals with an offer of about ¥500 billion (US$5 billion), said the people, who declined to be identified as the negotiations are confidential.
Citigroup is selling assets after reporting more than US$100 billion of credit losses and writedowns tied to the US subprime-mortgage crisis, data compiled by Bloomberg showed.
The US bank paid ¥1.6 trillion for Nikko Cordial Corp, Japan’s third-largest securities firm, in January last year.
FACING A CRISIS
“Citigroup doesn’t want to sell assets it just acquired and hasn’t seen much return on, but it’s facing a crisis,” said Shinichi Iimura, an analyst at Merrill Lynch & Co in Tokyo.
“Nikko’s retail business must be attractive, but it’s questionable if a buyer could make any return on it,” Iimura said.
The two banks will discuss details including price, terms and a possible alliance, the people said. Citigroup may resume talks with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc, Japan’s largest bank, if the negotiations break down, the people said.
Tokyo-based spokeswomen Atsuko Yoshitsugu at Citigroup and Chika Togawa at Sumitomo Mitsui both declined to comment.
Sumitomo Mitsui, which operates a retail brokerage with 75 branches nationwide, will also discuss the acquisition and a possible Citigroup alliance with Daiwa Securities Group Inc, one of the people said, the bank’s partner and Japan’s second-biggest investment bank.
FLAGGED FOR SALE
Citigroup in January put Nikko Cordial on a list of businesses flagged for eventual sale. An internal memo to employees in February said the bank aimed to find partners for Nikko Cordial and other units in Japan, or to sell them in an initial public offering.
Citigroup is also selling its Japanese asset-management business, Nikko Asset Management Co, and has invited bids from banks including Mizuho Financial Group Inc, four people familiar with the matter said earlier this month.
BAILOUT
The US government channeled US$45 billion into Citigroup and agreed to take a 36 percent stake in the bank after it posted five straight quarterly losses.
That losing streak ended on April 17, when the bank posted a US$1.6 billion profit for the first quarter on trading gains and an accounting benefit for companies in distress.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort