Top IMF and World Bank officials gathered for semi-annual meetings yesterday and today in the shadow of the worst global slump since the 1930s, but with perhaps the first signs of recovery peeping through.
The IMF forecast earlier this week the global economy would contract 1.3 percent this year. The forecast marked a dramatic downgrade of previous estimates and set the tone for the meetings of the top steering committees of the 185-member IMF and its sister institution the World Bank.
But on Friday, the G7 major economies said the worst might finally be over — although the outlook remained clouded and difficult.
“Recent data suggest that the pace of decline in our economies has slowed and some signs of stabilization are emerging,” a G7 statement said. “Economic activity should begin to recover later this year amid a continued weak outlook and downside risks persist.”
The G7 — Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the US — said they were “committed to act together to restore jobs and growth and to prevent a crisis of this magnitude from occurring again.”
US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, the G7 host, said that “without underestimating the challenges we still face, there are signs that the pace of deterioration in economic activity and trade flows has eased.”
He too cautioned against any simple optimism that the worst global slump since the 1930s would be over quickly.
“We are right to be somewhat encouraged but we would be wrong to conclude that we are close to emerging from the darkness that descended on the global economy [in September],” he said in a statement.
A subsequent meeting of the G20, which includes the G7 and developing countries such as Brazil, China, India and Russia, ended without a statement.
The more positive G7 tone follows data showing that the downturn is easing but many officials remain reluctant to give the all-clear, warning that more bad news is to come which could blight any “green shoots” of recovery.
Others also warn that recovery or not, the human cost of the crisis is very high, still rising and should not be forgotten.
On Friday, a World Bank/IMF report said the crisis means up to 90 million more people will remain trapped in extreme poverty this year while the chronically hungry could top 1 billion.
“Our belief is that the crisis is far from over,” IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn warned on Thursday.
“The beginning of the recovery has to come from the United States and will come from the United States,” Strauss-Kahn said, calling for greater efforts to restore the banking system to health. “You never recover before you complete the cleaning up of the balance sheet of the financial sector ... The recovery in 2010 relies a lot upon the effort that still has to be made in this domain so, I’m again asking on the eve of these meetings for more effort to be made in this direction.”
The IMF estimates that US, European and Japanese banks will have acknowledged only a third of their losses on soured assets between mid-2007 and next year, with the total losses put at near US$4 trillion.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his