Internet giant Google is testing a new service that would expand its TV-ad brokering business to YouTube and video on other Web sites, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.
Michael Steib, Google’s director of TV ads, told the newspaper that Google was working on technology that would allow advertisers to buy ads across Google TV, YouTube and other Web sites through the same interface.
He said Google was testing the service, called Google TV Ads Online, with a small group of advertisers. The newspaper said it was likely to be introduced in the coming months.
It said Google, which currently makes 97 percent of its revenue from online advertising, was hoping the new service would make it easier for bigger brand advertisers to spend across both traditional and online media.
The Journal said that for the new effort to work, however, YouTube needed to secure longer-form video such as TV shows and movies.
And it noted that some TV ads may not be suitable to run before or alongside online video.
Google’s move comes as increasing numbers of people are watching TV online.
Earlier this year, Google dropped another advertising initiative, its Print Ads program, an attempt to auction off space in newspapers to bargain-seeking advertisers.
The elimination of Print Ads came as Google cut costs in the face of a struggling economy that has slowed even the online advertising king’s money-making machine.
Google also announced it was getting out of the broadcast radio advertising business in a move that was expected to result in the Internet powerhouse shedding about 40 workers.
On Thursday, Google said that it planned to cut nearly 200 marketing and sales jobs from its international operations.
Google’s rapid growth resulted in some job duplications and the company “over-invested” in some areas, Google senior vice president of sales and business development Omid Kordestani said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort