French President Nicolas Sarkozy criticized Societe Generale on Friday for awarding stock options to top executives after the bank took state aid to help it weather the financial crisis.
Societe Generale said management would not exercise any options while the group was benefiting from government support as it sought to calm the mood after other leading politicians branded the move “indecent” and “bizarre.”
“Clearly some people are having trouble understanding what we said,” French President Nicolas Sarkozy told a press conference in Brussels. “I repeat that when there is ... state aid, bonuses, stock option plans and exceptional payments are unacceptable.”
He added that such moves would be a “scandal.”
Corporate pay has been at the center of rows on both sides of the Atlantic in recent days as politicians criticize rewards for bosses of companies bailed out with government money.
French banks received 10.5 billion euros (US$14.3 billion) in aid last year, with SocGen taking a 1.7 billion euro slice, to help them weather the global credit squeeze and keep lending. A similar amount is being made available this year.
SocGen was itself among European banks that received payments from American International Group after the US insurer was bailed out. The French group on Monday defended the US$11.9 billion sum, saying it had acted within its rights based on previous agreements.
Royal Bank of Scotland, now majority-owned by the British government after a £20 billion (US$29 billion) bailout last year, is mired in a row over a £16.6 million pension pot for ousted chief executive Fred Goodwin.
Separately, Sarkozy ruled out new social spending on Friday after anger at the economic crisis drew a million striking workers onto the streets, as the opposition clamored for a boost to low wages.
Factory and white collar workers from across the private sector joined a million civil servants on Thursday in France’s second nationwide strike in two months to demand protection from the economic crisis.
Unions and the left-wing opposition, backed by up to four-fifths of the public, are demanding measures to lift wages, boost consumer spending and scrap an unpopular tax break for the highest earners.
“Yesterday’s protests showed how worried workers are about the economic crisis,” Sarkozy told a press conference in Brussels.
But the French leader ruled out new social spending to cushion the blow of the crisis, saying a package of benefits and tax cuts worth 2.6 billion euros approved last month had yet to be rolled out.
The social measures were approved after a nationwide strike in January, in addition to a 26 billion euro industrial stimulus plan.
But Jean-Claude Mailly, head of the FO union, told RTL radio that labor leaders were “determined to keep up the pressure,” and were considering calling new protests on Labour Day on May 1.
“We need to keep up the pressure,” said Socialist Segolene Royal.
“This government is cut off from the people,” she told France Info radio. “The anger we saw on the streets can only grow, faced with a government and president who remain deaf and blind to the country’s demands.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his