The economic downturn has forced nearly 10 percent of the nation’s bakeries to close this year, and more are expected to quit the market, a top Taipei Bakery Association (台北市糕餅商業同業公會) executive said yesterday.
The volatility of commodity prices and the economic downturn have had a pincer effect on many bakeries this year, forcing some to close and a growing number to join forces with coffee shops or market their products through the Internet, Taipei Bakery Association chairman Ellen Yin (尹玉仙) said.
“Innovation is still the key to help bakery operators buck the economic downturn,” Yin told reporters yesterday on the sidelines of a press briefing ahead of the Taipei International Bakery Show.
Taipei International Bakery Show 2009, the largest of its kind in Asia, has booked 179 suppliers using 474 booths to showcase their baked goods and bakery equipment.
The show will be held from Thursday through Sunday next week at the Taipei World Trade Center’s Exhibition Hall One in Taipei’s Xinyi district.
Orange Mart (柑仔店), which operates four bakeries in Hsinchu specializing in European-style and organic bread, said sales had dropped between 10 percent and 20 percent this year because customers had reduced the number of visits to their stores.
Ho Ping-tung (何屏東), executive assistant to the president of Orange Mart, said business was significantly affected by the large number of workers in Hsinchu being asked to take unpaid leave.
However, Ho said, the average amount spent by each customer had increased because customers visited the bakeries less often but spent more each time.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he