South Korea yesterday announced plans to spend an extra 4.9 trillion won (US$3.5 billion) this year to create 550,000 new jobs as it teeters on the edge of a recession brought on by the global slump.
The decision was reached at a special presidential council meeting on the economic crisis, the presidential office said. The money will come from a supplementary budget to be unveiled next week.
Media reports and officials say the government is likely to ask parliament to approve an extra budget of around 30 trillion won.
The country’s export-driven economy is on the brink of its first recession since 1998. The official unemployment rate rose to 3.9 percent last month, the highest in almost four years.
The number of people employed fell by 142,000 year-on-year, the largest reduction since September 2003.
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak called for all-out efforts to save or create jobs.
“The government’s goal this year is to create jobs because many people talk about social welfare, but the best welfare the government can provide is a job,” he told the meeting.
“The largest goal of the supplementary budget is first to create jobs and second to create jobs,” Yonhap news agency quoted him as saying.
These must first go to people who are the sole breadwinners in a family, he said, stressing that work gives people confidence and builds the base for economic recovery.
The country’s biggest business and union groups have already announced what Lee has called “historic, unprecedented measures” to save jobs — including wage cuts and job-sharing.
The spending announced yesterday amounts to roughly 2.9 trillion won for direct job creation, 500 billion won for encouraging job-sharing measures, 158 billion won for training and about 1.6 trillion won for measures to promote new employment and support the poor.
South Korean Finance Minister Yoon Jeung-hyun has said the economy will likely contract 2 percent this year and lose 200,000 jobs.
Daniel Melser, a senior economist with Moody’s Economy.com, called this figure optimistic and said the export-driven economy is likely to shed at least half a million jobs over the course of this year.
He said yesterday’s program was unlikely to reach its job creation target.
“Nevertheless, if the money is appropriately directed it will help to make somewhat of a dent in Korea’s lengthening unemployment queues — though a smaller dent than the half-million jobs which is hoped for,” Melser wrote in a commentary.
The collapse in foreign demand for South Korea’s exports had hit manufacturing very hard, with the finance and construction sectors also feeling the brunt of the crisis, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort