The government is mulling legal revisions that would revive the Financial Restructuring Fund to help stabilize the nation’s financial sector because many institutions have incurred heavy losses amid the global financial storm.
The Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) is drawing up stabilization measures that would seek to revive the restructuring fund — similar to the US’ Resolution Trust Corp fund — with NT$1 trillion (US$29 billion) in new funds to buy bad loans or bail out troubled financial institutions, the Chinese-language Commercial Times reported yesterday.
Set up in July 2001, the restructuring fund expired four years later after the legislature rejected a government proposal to inject more funds. The Central Deposit Insurance Corp (中央存保) has since taken over responsibility for rescuing problematic lenders.
The report said that the commission was fine-tuning a response measure to cope with the aftermath of the financial crisis by strengthening the restructuring fund’s size and function.
With a scale of between NT$500 billion and NT$1 trillion, the envisioned fund would be able to step in and buy shares of, or invest in, ailing financial institutions, in addition to underwriting their loans and acquiring their debt, the daily said without naming a source.
As the source of funding was expected to pose the biggest challenge, the Cabinet is soon to hold a briefing on the plans and Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) would personally settle the issue, it said.
Norman Yin (殷乃平), a finance and banking professor at National Chengchih University, said the insurance sector should not be included in the rescue plan as it would strain the proposed fund’s resources.
Yin said local lenders emerged relatively unscathed from the credit crunch this time, but insurance companies suffered heavy losses.
“Many insurance companies retain more debt than their balance sheets reveal,” Yin said by telephone. “No one would want to take over their unprofitable assets. It would prove more difficult than expected to clean that up.”
Yin, a former lawmaker, also said the proposed fund should not be allowed to invest in securities and buy shares, which would render the fund a regular institution rather than an ad hoc mechanism.
“The fund should disband once it has fulfilled its duty,” Yin said. “Lawmakers would question its need after the crisis is over. They will also debate the source of funding, given its huge size.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort