Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), which pioneered the market for sub-US$500 laptops, may install Google Inc’s free Android operating system on its low-cost notebooks, challenging the dominance of Microsoft Corp’s Windows software.
Asustek has allocated engineers to develop an Android-based netbook by as early as the end of the year, Samson Hu (胡書賓), head of the Taipei-based company’s Eee PC business, said in an interview on Thursday.
Asustek hasn’t decided whether to proceed with a final product because the project is still under development, he said.
An Android-powered notebook would extend Google’s rivalry with Microsoft into the market for software that runs personal computers, of which Windows controls more than 90 percent.
Netbooks, scaled-down laptops that offer basic e-mail and Internet functions, are the fastest-growing segment of the PC industry, with shipments projected to almost double this year as the overall market slows.
“With the strength of Google behind it, Android could really challenge Microsoft and steal some market share,” said Calvin Huang (黃文堯), a computer-industry analyst at Daiwa Securities Group Inc (大和證券) in Taipei. “The benefit is the free license and you can use a lower-power, cheaper processor.”
Google introduced Android in 2007 as a software system for phones. Android is based on Linux, an “open-source” operating system that’s free and developed by hundreds of engineers worldwide. Microsoft offers an operating system for handsets called Windows Mobile.
HTC Corp (宏達電) is the first company to produce Android-based phones, selling two models through operators such as T-Mobile USA Inc and Vodafone Group PLC. Samsung Electronics Co and LG Electronics Inc are also planning to introduce Android-based handsets this year.
Freescale Semiconductor Inc, the Texas-based computer-chip maker taken private in 2006, said this week it began discussions with Taiwan’s Pegatron Corp (和碩) to create a netbook design that can use Android. Freescale expects to be producing chips for the device in large quantities by the second quarter.
Google, based in Mountain View, California, designed the Android platform to be used in phones, with the capability for the software to be adapted for netbook-style products, company spokeswoman Carolyn Penner said in an e-mail.
Netbooks have smaller screens, lower storage and less processing power than standard laptops, making them cheaper while less suitable for high-end tasks such as watching movies or playing games.
Asustek introduced the Eee PC in October 2007, initially only offering netbooks running on Linux. Microsoft’s Windows had 85 percent of the mini-notebook market during the fourth quarter, while Linux accounted for the rest, estimates at research firm Gartner Inc showed.
“We remain confident that people will keep on buying Windows, as we’ve seen strong growth in Windows on these small notebook PCs,” Ben Rudolph, senior manager for Windows, said in an e-mail.
If Google’s office applications replace Windows-based programs, Android-based netbooks will have a better chance of succeeding, said Leslie Fiering, a Gartner analyst in San Jose, California.
An Android computer may also operate faster than a Windows machine. Because of higher hardware requirements, Windows-equipped computers can take twice as long to boot up as a Linux netbooks, Acer’s Web site says.
“Android is a very lean and open platform,” Hu said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his