Singapore’s key exports last month fell by the largest amount on record, the government said yesterday, releasing data showing further evidence of the city-state’s deepening recession.
Non-oil domestic exports (NODX) fell by 34.8 percent last month compared with the same month a year earlier, said International Enterprise Singapore, the government’s trade promotion agency.
It is the biggest fall since the government began year-on-year comparisons in 1977 and exceeded the previous record of a 30.7 percent drop in September 2001, after al-Qaeda’s attacks in the US.
Last month’s decline was the ninth consecutive contraction and was almost in line with the 34.5 percent median forecast in a recent poll of economists by Dow Jones Newswires.
The decline last month exceeded the 20.8 percent year-on-year fall recorded in December, the data showed.
Shipments to all 10 key markets were lower last month, with exports to the major US market falling 50 percent, the agency said.
The city-state is Southeast Asia’s wealthiest economy in terms of GDP per capita, but its heavy dependence on trade makes it sensitive to economic disturbances in developed nations, whose economies are suffering in the world’s worst economic crisis since the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Singapore in October became the first Asian economy to enter recession.
NODX to China — whose economy slowed dramatically at the end of last year — were down 51.6 percent, the agency said.
On a month-on-month seasonally adjusted basis, NODX fell by 3.2 percent last month after the previous month’s 11 percent decrease, it said.
The key exports were worth S$10.04 billion (US$6.69 billion) last month, a fall of 34.8 percent from a year earlier, data showed.
Almost 40 percent of the NODX value comes from electronic products such as disk drives but the category fell by 38.4 percent last month.
That was the sector’s worst single-month fall since September 2001, said Song Seng Wun, regional economist with CIMB-GK Research.
Non-electronic exports, including chemicals, petrochemicals and pharmaceuticals, were down 32.4 percent, International Enterprise Singapore said.
Overall, last month’s fall was bad, “but it could have been worse,” Song said.
“It’s bad, but in line with what we see in Taiwan, [South] Korean and Chinese markets,” Song said.
Singapore twice downgraded its growth forecasts last month.
Meanwhile, data showed that pharmaceutical shipments were down 4.5 percent, compared with declines of about 50 percent the previous two months.
Alvin Liew, an economist at Standard Chartered Bank, said he expected Singapore exports to continue their “dismal” performance at least for the first half of the year.
The government now sees shrinkage of between 2 percent and 5 percent for this year, after estimated growth of 1.2 percent last year.
But Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam warned this month the economic crisis will be drawn out.
“We are seeing continued momentum in the economy declining week by week,” he said.
In his budget speech last month, Shanmugaratnam had announced a stimulus package of S$20.5 billion and said S$4.9 billion of that would come from the national savings, which had never been drawn on.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his