Lavish parties thrown by top Wall Street bankers used to be the talk of the annual Davos forum but the economic crisis has forced belt tightening this year.
The number of A-list bankers who will debate the global turmoil at the World Economic Forum starting today has been cut and many financial institutions have slashed their entertainment budget.
Caviar and lobster are out and ham and cheese are in for receptions at luxury Davos hotels such as the Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere where white wine and cheaper champagnes are replacing Dom Perignon, media reports say.
John Thain, former Merrill Lynch chief, was scheduled to debate the future of the global financial system, according to a WEF program circulated last week.
But he resigned from Bank of America, which bought Merrill Lynch on Thursday and Thain’s name was dropped from the latest list of forum participants.
Goldman Sachs, renowned for its Davos parties, is not holding one this year. The bank’s chief operating officer Gary Cohn is on the Davos list, but chief executive Lloyd Blankfein is not.
Likewise, Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit is not attending, and Lehman Brothers, usually a prominent presence at Davos, has folded since economic storm clouds started gathering over last year’s event.
JP Morgan, led by its CEO James Dimon, will be left leading Wall Street’s depleted delegation this year.
Swiss newspaper Sonntagszeitung reported recently that budgets for receptions were being cut by 30 percent, quoting Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvedere chief Ernst Wyrsch.
Marc Demisch, general manager at the Central Sporthotel said a bank that used to host two events at its restaurants has opted for just one event this year.
Another private event will see 25 percent budget cutback, with “wine that is about 10-15 francs cheaper,” he said.
“We will probably make a little less than last year, a maximum of 5 percent less on food and beverages, but not tremendously less,” said Demisch.
Jean-Pierre Lehmann, a professor at the IMD business school, said Davos was founded on the “dogma of business leadership” which in recent months has been choking on fallout from the credit crisis fallout.
“There was always a certain element of evangelism capitalism during previous years’ Davos. You don’t get fundamental debate on the system,” he said.
The gaps left by the diminishing teams of bankers are more than made up for by politicians and policymakers.
With the capitalist world suffering its worst battering since the Great Depression, the words of China’s Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶) and Russia’s Prime Minister Vladimir Putin will dominate the start of the elite five-day meeting.
Putin, Wen, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown are all to lecture the forum on how crashing economies can be saved.
Russia and China have a chance to monopolize attention since no top policymaker from President Barack Obama’s new US administration agreed to go to Davos.
Meanwhile, Bono is too busy so Chinese martial arts movie star Jet Li (李連杰) and the king of Bollywood Amitabh Bachchan will be providing the glamour counterweight to politicians at this year’s Davos forum.
Bono “has a day job too,” World Economic Forum spokesman Mark Adams said, explaining why the U2 frontman would not be attending this year’s gathering in the Swiss mountain resort of Davos.
The Irish rock star has been at the past three forums campaigning for the poor and the environment, but this year is busy recording a new album with his group, Adams said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his