Dragged down by a weak economy, Texas Instruments (TI) and General Motors (GM) on Monday announced plans to cut their work force, while IBM may be mulling the same move.
Texas Instruments Inc said it was cutting 12 percent of its global work force, or about 3,400 jobs, as profits fell amid a global slump.
The Dallas, Texas-based electronics and semiconductor manufacturer said the reductions would come through 1,800 layoffs and 1,600 voluntary retirements and departures and would result in charges of about US$300 million.
Combined with a restructuring of the company’s wireless business announced in October, the reductions would result in annualized savings of US$700 million, it said.
“We are realigning our expenses with a global economy that continues to weaken,” chief executive Rich Templeton said. “By reducing expenses now, we keep TI financially strong and able to invest for future growth.
“We are not counting on a near-term economic rebound for improvement,” he said in statement.
Texas Instruments said net profit fell 27 percent to US$1.92 billion last year compared with the previous year.
In the fourth quarter, net profit fell 86 percent to US$107 million, dragged down by US$254 million in restructuring costs.
“As the year progressed and the global economy weakened, the decline in TI revenue accelerated and broadened to the extent that all segments declined from the year-ago quarter in the final quarter of the year,” the company said.
Texas Instruments forecast revenue of between US$1.62 billion and US$2.12 billion in the current quarter, down from US$2.49 billion in the fourth quarter.
Meanwhile, GM said it was planning to cut 2,000 jobs at two US plants as it slashes production in the wake of a sharp drop in demand and amid a deepening recession.
The cuts come as the cash-strapped automaker prepares to submit a long-term viability plan in exchange for obtaining billions in loans from the US government.
GM’s US sales fell 23 percent last year, while total industry sales fell 18 percent in the steepest annual decline in 29 years to levels not seen since 1992.
The largest US automaker slashed production by 21 percent in the fourth quarter of last year and cut its first-quarter production forecast by 53 percent.
“Although we are bringing all our plants in North America back on line in the first quarter, many of those will have additional downtime in the first and second quarter,” GM spokesman Susan Waun said.
The job cuts will come through the elimination of a shift at an Ohio sport utility plant and a Michigan car factory, Waun said.
Nine of the automaker’s 15 US plants and one plant in Canada will face weekly shutdowns, but the breadth of the production cuts has not yet been determined, Waun said.
GM had 62,000 hourly and 29,500 salaried workers at the end of last year.
That is down dramatically from 105,000 hourly and 36,000 salaried workers in 2005, when GM began posting staggering losses which reached US$72 billion through the third quarter of last year.
Separately, US computer and software giant IBM Corp is planning to cut more than 2,800 jobs, a labor union representing the firm’s employees said on Monday.
Alliance@IBM, a member of the AFL-CIO, the largest US labor union federation, said IBM intends to eliminate 1,419 jobs in its software division and 1,449 jobs in sales and distribution.
“Cuts in other divisions expected. Stay tuned!” Alliance@IBM said on its Web site.
IBM, which reported on Monday last week that net profit last year beat market expectations and predicted a stronger performance in 2009, was not immediately available to comment on the union’s statement.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his