The world’s biggest observation wheel reopened yesterday after a pre-Christmas fire trapped passengers for hours and led to a one-month shutdown of the attraction.
The Singapore Flyer began turning with its first load of at 50 least passengers at about 11:40am.
In a press release, the Flyer said it had obtained, late on Sunday, the license allowing it to operate again. The Flyer said authorities issued their approval after German-based firm TUV SUD gave the attraction “a clean bill of health” following tests of a new backup system for turning the wheel. TUV SUD says it has tested amusement rides around the world.
The Flyer’s primary drive system has also been repaired and enhanced, the release said.
“Safety has always been our top priority ... and we are confident that passengers in the Singapore Flyer will now enjoy the safest and most comfortable flight,” Flyer chairman Florian Bollen said in the statement.
Passengers buying tickets for the first “flight” of the wheel said they had no safety concerns.
“Because, actually, after it’s broken down I would expect it to be working fine now,” said Mark Haslett, 49, a tourist from England who showed up at the wheel unaware that it had been closed.
Peter Prakongtham, from Bangkok, said he was looking forward to his ride and said the attraction was well managed.
On Dec. 23 a small electrical fire, which police have ruled an accident, trapped 173 people inside the Flyer’s enclosed cabins until power was restored six hours later, but 10 were rescued dramatically using harnesses. Two were taken to hospital.
Bollen, who was waiting to join the first passengers as service resumed, said the authorities and contractors worked night and day to get the Flyer ready.
“I feel very happy,” he said, expressing confidence that “business will be good again.”
Bollen has said the Flyer’s financial health was fine despite the month-long closure. Losses were insured, he said, without providing a figure.
The 42-story Flyer is 165m high, 30m taller than Britain’s London Eye, the company that built it said. Since the accident, emergency supplies including water and blankets have been placed in every observation capsule, the Flyer said.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he