Residents may face charges
The Industrial Development Bureau (IDB) is considering pressing charges against residents of Kaohsiung County’s Taliao Township (大寮鄉) for the alleged assault of Hsu Ming-lun (許明倫), a senior IDB official in the Industrial Sustainable Development Department, an IDB official, who declined to be named, said yesterday.
The bureau is reviewing videotapes shot by members of the press to determine if there is any evidence which can be used to file a credible complaint, the official said.
The comments came after Minister of Economic Affairs Yiin Chii-ming (尹啟銘) told reporters yesterday morning that the bureau would not tolerate violence and would press charges if necessary.
On Sunday, a group of Taliao residents surrounded a wastewater treatment plant inside Kaohsiung County’s Tafa Industrial Complex (大發工業區) and clashed with plant workers and Hsu. The official suffered a concussion as a result.
CNOOC to boost production
China’s largest listed offshore oil and gas producer, CNOOC Ltd, yesterday said it would boost production by up to 18 percent this year, driven by new output from wells in Nigeria and Indonesia.
The firm is aiming for production of 225 million to 231 million barrels of oil equivalent this year, up from 194 million to 196 million last year, it said in a statement.
CNOOC said it also planned to increase capital expenditure by 19 percent to US$6.76 billion, despite lower oil prices. The aggressive moves come as many international players are stalling projects.
Apple sells second-hand goods
US tech giant Apple said on Monday it had started selling discounted second-hand products in China to court more customers.
The used products, offered on Apple’s Chinese online store, include iPod shuffle music players at 308 yuan (US$45) each and iMac personal computers priced at 14,000 yuan.
Apple, whose products are more expensive than its PC rivals, is struggling to gain a foothold in China.
Last year its iPod line had a 4.3 percent share of China’s portable media player market, Beijing-based consultant CCID Consulting said.
The used products, which have a one-year limited warranty, were returned to Apple by customers and went through strict quality tests before being put on the shelves again, a statement on the Web site said.
Asia currencies set to devalue
Asian central banks will pursue competitive devaluation of their currencies in the first half of the year and cut interest rates to buffer the impact of a global economic slump, Royal Bank of Scotland Group PLC said.
The US dollar’s rise against other major currencies in the second half of the year as benchmark policy rates of developed economies converge will also exert pressure on Asian currencies, wrote Chia Woon Khien, a Singapore-based interest rate strategist at the bank in a note yesterday.
Investors should sell the New Taiwan dollar, the Malaysian ringgit and the Singapore dollar, she wrote.
“Competitive devaluation will be more of a policy choice rather than a market-driven event given Asia’s relatively stronger economies compared to a decade ago,” she said.
NT dollar loses ground
The New Taiwan dollar lost ground against the US dollar on the Taipei Foreign Exchange yesterday, declining NT$0.104 to close at NT$33.639.
A total of US$1.15 billion changed hands during the day’s trading.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his