The Ministry of Finance said on Saturday that it was considering allowing the nation’s individual and business taxpayers to delay or pay their taxes in installments this year, local media reported yesterday.
The proposed measure would enable cash-strapped taxpayers to delay their payments for one to two months, but no later than the end of the year, the Chinese-language Apple Daily quoted Minister of Finance Lee Sush-der (李述德) as saying.
However, the rich would not be permitted to apply for the tax deferral, and qualified taxpayers would need to apply based on their individual circumstances, Lee said.
Under the ministry’s plan, applications for individual income tax deferral would be made up of four parts, the paper said. The first would be a bank statement proving substantial investment losses from the purchase of now-bankrupt Lehman Brothers-linked financial products. The applicant must have been laid off after last July and filed for unemployment benefits. The amount of tax due has to be more than NT$50,000 (US$1,490) or exceed the applicant’s monthly income. Finally, the amount of savings must be less than the amount of tax due.
As to whether one or all four requirements would have to be met, the ministry said no final decision had been made. More details would be discussed at a tax meeting on Wednesday.
But, investors who incur losses from investing in stocks or funds are not entitled to apply for a tax deferral as the ministry does not consider these losses “substantial wealth losses,” the paper said.
As for the business income tax, the ministry said businesses would be eligible to apply for the deferral as long as they can provide evidence of a decline in orders as a result of the global financial crisis that forced them to ask employees to take unpaid leave.
There are also several conditions that must be met. The business must have never been convicted of tax evasion. The business must also have suffered a large decline in profit, making it unable to hold a year-end dinner party or give out bonuses to its employees.
Companies that support the government’s policy by promising to lay off less than 1 percent of their workforce, will be given first consideration for a tax deferral.
In response, the Taiwan Federation of Industry (工業協進會) chairman Lee Cheng-chia (李成家) agreed with the ministry’s decision to allow business taxpayers to make deferred payments of income tax.
“This will definitely be a tremendous help to businesses that are facing cash flow problems,” Lee told the newspaper.
However, Lee disagreed with the government’s plan for companies that held year-end dinner parties to be left out of the tax deferral program, saying it was a way for business owners to reward employees for their hard work over the past year, and does not mean these companies were profitable.
Preston Chen (陳武雄), chairman of the Chinese National Federation of Industries (工業總會), also welcomed the government’s move.
“I think this is a really good thing that can provide help to a number of businesses especially at this time … Many companies will be able to take a breath,” the paper quoted Chen as saying.
However, Norman Yin (殷乃平), a money and banking professor at National Chengchih University, criticized the new policy as being carelessly planned, suggesting that a tax reduction may be a more appropriate measure.
The government could also follow a proposal by the administration of US president-elect Barack Obama, which would allow businesses to use their current losses as deductions for future revenues, Yin said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort