Japanese consumer electronics maker Sony Corp yesterday introduced its high-priced alternative to the growing demand for netbooks — the VAIO P — at a product launch held simultaneously in Taipei, Tokyo and Las Vegas’ Consumer Electronics Show.
The VAIO P marks the multinational conglomerate’s foray into pocket PCs, as the company struggles to carve out a market niche to counter the netbook PC attack.
Taipei-based research and consulting group Topology Research Institute (拓墣產業), in a report released yesterday, forecast that global netbook PC shipments would reach between 27.25 million and 32 million this year.
PHOTO: AFP
In response to Topology’s report, Hiroyuki Oda, general manager of Sony Corp’s VAIO business group, told reporters yesterday: “We acknowledge the netbook demand, but we will not enter the low-priced netbook market.”
Oda said that since its founding in 1946, Sony has always been at the forefront of the consumer technology revolution, including the introduction of the concept of music-on-the-go with the launch of the Walkman.
“Our focus has always been on creating value through design, innovation and specialization. Without specialization, there would have been no VAIO,” Oda said.
Oda stressed that the 8-inch VAIO P is a pocket PC — and not a netbook.
However, Taipei-based researcher Market Intelligence Center (MIC) defines netbook PCs as products with display sizes ranging from between 7 inches and 10.2 inches, while notebook PCs are equipped with displays 10.4 inches and above. In short, the VAIO P falls into MIC’s netbook category in terms of display size.
Still, some industry watchers classify netbooks as low cost, mini-notebooks that retail between US$300 and US$400 per unit. The VAIO P series are priced between NT$26,800 and NT$36,800 (US$800 and US$1,100).
Sony is not worried that the VAIO P might cannibalize its existing ultra-portable TT and Z notebook series, since these two lines are even more distinctly priced than the P, with 11-inch and 13-inch displays respectively.
In the near term, the company has no plans of following netbook vendors’ popular tactic of collaborating with local telecom operators to promote their product through bundled sales (netbook + telecom subscription plan), Oda said.
Sony’s new pocket PC, which includes all the latest notebook add-ons, runs on Intel’s Atom Z processor and features an “Instant On” technology that allows users to boot up one program (such as the Internet browser) instead of running the entire operating system.
This same “Instant On” technology, developed by Taiwanese software company Device VM Inc (達維飛碼 ), has attracted a lot of interest at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Topology said.
Netbook vendors such as Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), Acer Inc (宏碁) and Hewlett-Packard Co are embracing this time-saving platform, and rolling out quick-start netbook PCs. Even Lenovo Group Ltd (聯想) recently included “Instant On” in its latest netbook line, Topology said yesterday.
As the economic downturn spreads, global demand for consumer PCs is also slowing. Oda yesterday did not talk about sales forecasts for the VAIO P, saying Sony was still observing consumer response to the new product.
“Although the global financial crisis is hurting sales worldwide, Asia Pacific remains a strong area of growth for us, whereas developed countries such as US, Europe, and Japan are showing signs of a slowdown,” Oda said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his