Taipei City’s commercial property prices, including office rentals, are expected to nosedive in the first half of this year from last quarter’s peak, real estate consultancy firm DTZ (戴德梁行) said yesterday.
DTZ also anticipated a buying freeze on residential properties nationwide.
“This will be a long, cloudy winter and no recovery is in sight in the near future,” DTZ general manager Billy Yen (顏炳立) told an outlook briefing yesterday. “Some properties are like zombies that no one wants to buy.”
Making things worse, the nation’s incorporation of International Accounting Standard No. 10 this month, which requires publicly traded developers to follow market-to-market accounting rules, will cut “approximately 20 percent in profits” from the value of their inventories on last year’s balance sheets, said Charlie Yang (楊長達), director of real estate appraisal for DTZ.
Developers with tight liquidity may soon run into financial difficulties, although government-guided loan rollover may give them a helping hand in the short run, Yen said.
In view of the dire situation, price cuts will be the only effective incentive to attract buyers, he said.
As for grade-A office rentals, Jessica Lu (盧佳青), manager of the firm’s global corporate services, estimated that a drop of between 5 percent and 10 percent in monthly rental prices may be inevitable in the first quarter, following a rise of 2.9 percent last quarter year-on-year to an average of NT$2,418 (US$73.30) per ping (3.3m²).
The market’s vacancy rate, at 7.2 percent last quarter, will see an uptick this quarter as foreign companies enforce cost-down strategies, she said, adding that Taipei 101 alone had 14,000 ping of vacant office space out of the city’s total of 533,000 ping.
Domestic companies, including small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), will also tighten their belts and relocate to Taipei’s grade-B industrial offices, said Christine Wu (吳富芸), manager of DTZ’s agency department.
Wu estimated that tenants in grade-B office spaces would have up to a 20 percent bargaining chip to negotiate rentals this quarter, while rental prices for retail shops would also see a cut of 10 percent to 15 percent as supply shoots up this year.
Big-time buyers of commercial properties, domestic or foreign, have also been hesitant to close deals, which guarantee no fixed incomes, since November, said Phyllis Hsiao (蕭佩宸), another agency department manager, at yesterday’s media briefing.
Foreign buyers bought NT$19.8 billion in commercial properties last year, or 21 percent of the value of all closed deals — down from NT$44.5 billion in 2007, she said.
Few foreign investors are interested in large-sum properties, which no longer provide one-shot capital gain as the market moves into a downtrend, but they are poised to buy non-performing property collateral if mortgage defaults emerge, Yen said.
A few domestic buyers such as life insurers, however, are hunting for office buildings with profit potential or industrial and office park areas such as in Neihu District (內湖), which will generate a steady return of more than 4.5 percent, Hsiao said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his