Officials in China on Monday launched a crackdown on “vulgar” Web sites, including Google and the country’s leading search engine, Baidu.
In a highly unusual move, they named 19 leading Internet companies they said failed to censor inappropriate content despite warnings, or did not do so swiftly enough.
The Ministry of Public Security and other government bodies announced the campaign at a meeting, state television reported, showing officials seizing equipment from an office.
The China Internet illegal information reporting center, part of the Internet Society of China, said searches on Google and Baidu produced too many links to obscene or pornographic Web sites and that the sites failed to take “efficient” measures to remove the material. Baidu has captured about two-thirds of the world’s largest Internet population — more than 250 million and growing — with Google in second place.
A Google spokeswoman in China, Cui Jin (崔瑾), said the site was a search engine and did not generate any pornographic content.
“If we find any violation, we will take action. So far, I haven’t seen any examples of violations,” she told the Associated Press.
Public relations representatives for Baidu declined to comment, telling Reuters it was unaware of the announcement.
Others on the list included some of China’s most popular portals and sites, such as Sina, Sohu, Netease and Tianya. Several were accused of carrying tawdry photographs or inappropriate comments on discussion forums or blogs.
The Chinese government frequently launches censorship drives against pornography and Web scams as well as political criticism. Pornography is illegal but widely available in China.
It is unusual for officials to name such prominent targets; the last crackdown singled out much smaller sites. They also threatened “stern punishment” for offenders this time, with the state news agency, Xinhua, reporting that those who refuse to change after receiving warnings could face closure.
“Some Web sites have exploited loopholes in laws and regulations,” said Cai Mingzhao (蔡明照), a deputy chief at the State Council Information Office. “They have used all kinds of ways to distribute content that is low-class, crude and even vulgar, gravely damaging mores on the Internet.”
Last month, Shanghai police detained a woman who sought to profit after her involvement in a sex video that became an online sensation. She had set up a blog advertising her availability for appearances and modeling assignments to make use of her new-found notoriety.
The foreign ministry argues that other countries also block Web content deemed illegal. The issue is particularly sensitive in China because of the heavy censorship of political and social discussion.
Wang Junxiu (王俊秀), a blog pioneer and critic of censorship, said the new campaign might have more to do with taming online opinion than stamping out pornography.
“I’d guess that this is in response to all the sensitive dates in 2009. They want to tighten up,” Wang told Reuters. “We’ve had crackdowns on pornography since the start and they’ve never worked, so there must be more than that. It’s a warning.”
This year sees the anniversaries of the 1959 uprising, which sparked the Dalai Lama’s flight from Tibet, the bloody crackdown on the Tiananmen Square democracy protests in 1989 and the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort