Japanese share prices yesterday closed the year down 42.12 percent from last year, marking the worst-ever annual percentage fall in Tokyo’s Nikkei index as the global economic crisis hit hard.
Analysts predict the market could face more pain in the new year as the world reels from the worst financial downturn since the Great Depression.
The Nikkei ended at 8,859.56 points as it closed out the year with a half-day session. The stock market reopens on Jan. 5.
The year’s fall was the worst in percentage terms since the index was established in 1949.
“It was a year beyond our imagination,” said Kazuhiro Takahashi, an analyst at Daiwa Securities SMBC.
Global markets, already reeling from a credit crunch, went haywire in September when Wall Street titan Lehman Brothers went belly-up under a mountain of debt.
The Japanese market repeatedly posted some of its biggest ever rises and falls. In October, the Nikkei plunged to a 26-year low.
“No one could stop the massive negative chain of events,” Takahashi said.
“First we thought it was a matter of the financial industry, but it quickly spread to the real economy around the world,” he said.
This year, shares were hardest hit in the auto sector with all of Japan’s carmakers drastically cutting their earnings forecasts due to falling demand in the US and Europe as well as a soaring yen.
Shares in auto leader Toyota Motor Corp — a year ago a pillar of the Japanese economy — lost half of their value this year.
The falls were even more dramatic for some of their competitors such as Nissan Motor Co and Mazda Motor Corp as well as for some major Japanese exporters.
Shares in Sony Corp tumbled 69 percent this year, while top bank Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group was down 47.56 percent.
While this year was the worst-ever year in percentage terms, the Nikkei suffered a bigger fall in points in 1990 with the end of Japan’s bubble economy, shedding 15,067.16 points or 38.71 percent of its value.
The market at least ended the year on a positive note, rising 112.39 points or 1.28 percent in yesterday’s abbreviated session.
The Topix index ended the year down 41.77 percent at 859.24. For the final session of the year, the index rose 4.47 points or 0.52 percent.
Dealers said the market was optimistic about upcoming economic stimulus plans as US president-elect Barack Obama prepares to take over on Jan. 20.
Dariusz Kowalczyk, chief investment strategist at CFC Seymour in Hong Kong, expected the market to rise later in the year. He predicted the Nikkei would grow 27 percent in the new year.
Dealers said Japan could also benefit from greater political stability next year. General elections must take place by September, with polls showing the opposition in a strong position to win — an outcome that would end a divided parliament in place since the middle of last year.
But Takahashi warned that Japan still had a long way to go before lifting out of its recession, with the auto industry’s woes leading to higher unemployment and dragging down the entire economy.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his