The semi-official Institute for Information Industry has launched its own Moblin Enabling Center to help foster the domestic Moblin industry, the institute said yesterday.
The acting president of the institute, Ke Jyh-sheng (柯志昇), said the center’s priority was to help domestic IT manufacturers produce Moblin 2.0-compatible laptops and other mobile Internet devices.
Moblin, an open-source project led by Intel, aims to develop a Linux-based software platform for mobile Internet devices and other new categories of devices, such as netbooks and nettops — low-cost laptop and desktop computers.
With the platform, developers can build visually rich, dynamic and ready-to-use applications that run on devices with Intel CPUs.
Joined by major Taiwanese companies such as Asustek Computer Inc (華碩), Acer Inc (宏碁), Quanta Computer Corp (廣達) and Compal Electronics Inc (仁寶), Intel and the Ministry of Economic Affairs signed a cooperation agreement in late October to set up a Moblin-enabling center and bolster the development of WiMAX technology.
Heading 30 software engineers, Liu Ying-hui (劉英輝), the director of the Moblin project, said his job was to help build research and development capacity for Moblin software and integrate hardware production technologies with new trends to develop a Moblin supply chain.
Liu said the center would focus on three-dimensional user interface, fast start-up and power-saving technologies. It also hopes to become an accreditation institute for Moblin 2.0 compatibility.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his