US automakers mulled painful reforms yesterday after US President George W. Bush unveiled a US$13.4 billion rescue loan for the struggling industry, but demanded tough reforms in return in a move aimed at staving off a new economic calamity.
“In the midst of a crisis and a recession allowing the US auto industry to collapse is not a responsible course of action,” Bush said as he released the package on Friday, after weeks of deliberations.
General Motors (GM) and Chrysler, facing a threat of imminent bankruptcy that could create economic chaos and throw millions out of work across the country, agreed to the terms and will get the loans starting on Dec. 29.
PHOTO: BLOOMBERG
GM will get US$9.4 billion in two installments through the middle of next month and Chrysler up to US$4 billion this month, officials said.
Ford said it would not be part of the loan program, which could include an additional US$4 billion from February for GM pending congressional action.
The funds will come from the Treasury’s US$700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) approved in October to bail out struggling financial institutions.
The companies have to provide warrants for non-voting stock, accept limits on executive pay and perks and give priority to the government loans over other debts, to the extent permitted by law.
The automakers will have to take steps to prove their viability by March 31 or the government could require the funds to be repaid.
“The automakers and unions must understand what is at stake and make hard decisions necessary to reform,” Bush said.
He said restructuring the industry would “require meaningful concessions from all involved in the auto industry.”
Among the “targets” established by the loan would be a two-thirds reduction in debt by exchanging debt for equity, more flexible work rules and cuts in wages to make the companies competitive with foreign carmakers established on US soil.
“The loan will be automatically called by the government and will be repaid in full if certain conditions are not met” by March 31, a senior administration official said. “The most important one is that the firms must be viable.”
Chrysler LLC chairman and chief executive Bob Nardelli said his firm “is committed to meeting these [loan] requirements.”
GM lauded the action and said in a statement: “This action helps to preserve many jobs, and supports the continued operation of GM and the many suppliers, dealers and small businesses across the country that depend on us.”
But the United Auto Workers union said it would try to reverse “unfair conditions” imposed on workers in the bailout, saying they had already made sharp concessions.
“We will work with the [Barack] Obama administration and the new Congress to ensure that these unfair conditions are removed as we join in the coming months with all stakeholders to create a viable future for the US auto industry,” union president Ron Gettelfinger said.
In Argentina, workers at a GM plant in western Santa Fe blocked access to the premises to protest more than 100 planned layoffs, after contract negotiations broke down and were postponed by a government mediator to Friday. Instead of layoffs, union leaders are asking for the plant’s reduced work schedule to be absorbed equally by the plant’s 2,000 workers.
Officials said the loan would be managed by the US Treasury and that no “car czar” would be appointed, but that president-elect Barack Obama would be allowed to designate one after taking office Jan. 20.
Obama called the move “a necessary step to help avoid a collapse in our auto industry that would have devastating consequences for our economy and our workers.”
The decision drew criticism.
Republican Senator Judd Gregg said the loan was “inconsistent” with the financial rescue TARP program and “sets a troublesome new precedent that the next administration may use to expand government control over numerous specific industries that are having troubles during these difficult times.”
Robert Brusca at FAO Economics said the debt-for-equity provision “could sucker-punch the corporate debt market.”
Edmunds.com analyst Jesse Toprak said the industry may face more trouble if the auto market fails to improve.
He expects 9.8 million vehicles to be sold in the coming year but added “no automaker can survive as a viable business in the United States if fewer than 11 million vehicles are sold annually industrywide.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort