South Korea, Japan and China agreed to set up regular meetings to consult on issues facing the regional economy and work more closely to help counter challenges stemming from the global financial turmoil.
Strengthened cooperation was necessary “to cope with the situation, in an effective manner, where the world economy and the financial markets are facing serious challenges,” South Korean President Lee Myung Bak, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso and Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao (溫家寶) said in a joint statement.
The leaders met yesterday in Fukuoka, Japan.
The summit comes a day after South Korea agreed on bilateral currency swap accords with Japan and China, the world’s biggest holders of foreign reserves, in an effort to ensure financial stability in Asia. South Korea and Japan will increase an existing won-yen arrangement to US$20 billion while China and South Korea agreed on an accord worth 38 trillion won (US$28 billion).
“Asian countries are expected to play a role as the center of world economic growth in order to reverse the downward trend of the world economy and return it to the path of sustainable growth,” the leaders said in the statement provided by the South Korean presidential office. “Our economies are dynamic, resilient and closely interlinked.”
South Korea’s Lee pursued the swap arrangements to secure access to funds and prevent a repeat of the 1997 currency crisis that caused the won to plunge and required a US$57 billion bailout from the IMF.
The won rose 7.5 percent against the dollar this week, completing the best weekly gain since the end of October, partly in anticipation of Friday’s announcements.
“The currency swap increase provides further funds in case of a liquidity shortage and a financial emergency,” said Oh Suk Tae, an economist with Citigroup Inc in Seoul. “The three nations want to get together to solidify their cooperation so they can better counter global turmoil.”
South Korea, Japan and China yesterday agreed to facilitate trade and investment in the region and “confirmed the significance of measures that will reinforce growth and expand domestic demand,” the statement said.
The countries will “refrain from raising new barriers to investment or to trade in goods and services, from imposing new export restrictions,” it said.
The three nations account for 74 percent of East Asia’s GDP and two-thirds of regional trade volume, the Japanese foreign ministry said.
The leaders said they will work with the members of ASEAN to speed up a plan agreed earlier this year that extends the so-called Chiang Mai Initiative, a deal allowing countries to lend each other money at favorable terms if help is needed to support exchange rates.
Finance ministers from 13 Asian nations, including South Korea, Japan and China, agreed in May to create a pool of at least US$80 billion in foreign-exchange reserves.
The leaders also reiterated a commitment to strengthen monitoring of the regional economy and financial markets, the statement said yesterday.
China wants contributions to the US$80 billion fund to be made in accordance with the size of each country’s foreign-exchange reserves while Japan wants to use the value of GDP as a measure, South Korea said earlier this year. The remaining 20 percent of the fund will be provided by the 10 members of ASEAN.
South Korea, Japan and China will hold the trilateral summit on a regular basis and will meet in China next year. The three nations will also share information on natural disasters and develop ways to “reduce vulnerability” to disasters and minimize the damages, they said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his