Canada’s federal government and Ontario’s provincial government have set a deadline of Friday for struggling US-based automakers seeking financial support to provide detailed financial information and a restructuring plan for their Canadian subsidiaries.
The letter, signed by federal Industry Minister Tony Clement and Ontario Economic Development Minister Michael Bryant, was sent on Friday to General Motors, Ford and Chrysler.
All three automakers have pleaded to the US and Canadian governments for substantial financial aid to stave off bankruptcy and avert the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Their chief executives are heading back to Washington on Tuesday to show their restructuring plans to US lawmakers. Congress is expected to vote on whether to give them US$25 billion in government-backed loans the following week.
Clement and Bryant’s letter asks the Canadian subsidiaries to reveal their production plans, including how they will “ensure” that energy efficient cars are being made in Canada.
“Taxpayers deserve that these companies detail solid plans for a prosperous future in Ontario, and I’m confident we’ll get that,” Bryant said.
An analysis of “Canadian and Ontario competitiveness vis-a-vis your global operations, including each major component of your cost structure, and how it can be adjusted to ensure our competitive position going forward” is required, the letter states.
“Before we consider committing taxpayer dollars, the government needs to see solid, sustainable plans from the automakers as they pertain to Canadian operations,” Clement said.
The automakers must also provide an analysis of its Ontario pension liability, it said.
Clement and Bryant were in Detroit and Washington last week to meet with auto executives to discuss a possible US bailout for the battered industry.
Should the North American auto industry collapse, hundreds of thousands of jobs in both the US and Canada would be threatened.
GM said on Friday it would sell and lease back some of its non-manufacturing operations in Europe as part of its efforts to raise cash quickly.
The company’s European division has retained real estate agent Jones Lang LaSalle to help identify potential buyers. The company has the potential to raise about US$257 million.
“Investigations are under way as to what would be viable,” said Denis Chick, spokesman for GM’s United Kingdom and Ireland division in an e-mail on Friday.
According to Chick, properties in the UK that could be sold include its headquarters in Luton, a parts warehouse in Luton and an engineering site in Millbrook.
GM has also delayed multiple projects, including new vehicles and engines, in order to cut costs. Earlier this month the company said it would sell its 3.02 percent stake in Suzuki Motor Corp for US$230 million.
The company is burning through cash more rapidly than it is making money, and may be at its minimum cash levels by the end of the year. GM is banking on swift congressional approval of taxpayer-backed bridge loans. Company executives are currently preparing a viability plan to present to Congress by Tuesday.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his