The government’s decision yesterday to extend the use of the National Stabilization Fund for a third month to prop up local stocks may be effective in easing the weighted index’s downward slide, but it could also delay a market rebound, analysts said yesterday.
With the government manipulating the TAIEX, investors will continue to hesitate to pump money into the market, said an equity analyst, who requested anonymity.
Government intervention will only delay the market’s fall and prevent it from touching bottom, he said.
With foreign capital pulling out and global financial conditions deteriorating, the NT$500 billion (US$15.1 billion) fund’s management committee yesterday reached a consensus to extend the deadline, which was set to expire on Monday, for using the fund to support the index for another month ending on Dec. 17.
The committee first authorized use of the fund to support the stock market on Sept. 19 and extended it for another month on Oct. 15.
“Committee members share the same view and agree unanimously to authorize the use of the fund [to support the stock market] for another month because of domestic and global financial uncertainties,” Deputy Minister of Finance Tseng Ming-chung (曾銘宗) told a media briefing yesterday.
He refused to give more details, including how much the fund plans to use for stock investments.
PROFIT-TAKING
The government’s announcement came after the local stock market closed yesterday. The TAIEX closed up 14.87 points, or 0.34 percent, at 4,452.7, with profit-taking eating away at earlier gains after a Wall Street rally overnight, dealers said.
Year to date, the benchmark index has fallen 47.66 percent.
The equity analyst estimated that the government fund spent about NT$5 billion and NT$8 billion daily to prop up the market — far higher than media speculation that it had invested a total of NT$80 billion since it started intervening in the market.
The biggest boost to the TAIEX would still be the return of foreign institutional investors, which account for about 30 percent of the market’s capitalization, the analyst said.
But that won’t be likely until global economies, particularly the US and Europe, begin to show signs of a recovery so that foreign investors could funnel more funds into Asia, including Taiwan, he said.
Taiwan International Securities (金鼎證券) analyst Arch Shih (施博元) said foreign institutional investors had been unloading electronic stocks, which have been battered by weakening demand worldwide.
TENSIONS
Yesterday’s thin turnover of NT$51.2 billion also signaled that many investors remained sidelined amid fears of escalating tensions after former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) was detained in a corruption probe.
“Non-economic factors are weighing on the market. The impact may continue as the investigation continues,” Shih said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his