Taiwanese travel agencies said yesterday that the latest talks between Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait (ARATS) Chairman Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) and Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) Chairman Chiang Pin-kung (江丙坤) could boost the tourism industry as China may increase the number of tourists visiting Taiwan.
But local travel agencies were also concerned that the business opportunities lost through the outflow of Taiwanese tourists to China may be greater than the benefits from the inflow of Chinese tourists.
With an increase in the number of flights, traveling to China will become much more convenient and the number of Taiwanese traveling to China is expected to increase, probably at a faster pace than the increase in Chinese tourists visiting Taiwan, the agencies said.
More than 4.3 million Taiwanese travel to China every year, statistics compiled by the SEF showed. Only 300 Chinese tourists per day on average visited Taiwan as of Oct. 27.
Some local travel companies also said they were skeptical about how many business opportunities would be created by inbound Chinese tourists, as even if that number doubled to 600 people per day, or even 1,000 per day next year, the total number of Chinese tourists visiting Taiwan would barely reach 365,000 people a year.
The Chinese government has only authorized 33 Chinese travel agencies to organize tour groups to Taiwan and there are only 13 cities and provinces whose residents are allowed to visit Taiwan.
The Chinese government should allow people from all cities and provinces to visit Taiwan and the number of travel agencies authorized to organize tours should be increased to at least 100, or maybe even 200, Travel Agent Association (旅行商業同業公會全國聯合會) chairman Yao Ta-kuang (姚大光) said.
Chen Chri-ji (陳墀吉), associate professor at Shih Hsin University’s Department of Tourism, said an increase in numbers of Chinese tourists would inevitably increase the workload of the National Immigration Agency and the Travel Agent Association, which could overwhelm them.
“The government should be alert to the possible increase in the number of Chinese tourists staying on illegally as a result of a simplified admission process,” Chen said.
Chen was also opposed to the regulations that impose a NT$200,000 fine on travel agencies for every Chinese tourist found staying illegally, which he believed was unreasonable and said the fine should be paid by the Chinese tourists themselves.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his