Oil prices plummeted to a one-year low below US$83 a barrel yesterday in Asia as investor fears of a severe global economic downturn sparked a panicked sell-off of equities and crude.
Light, sweet crude for November delivery was down US$4.00 to US$82.59 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange by mid-afternoon in Singapore, the lowest since last October. The contract overnight fell US$1.81 to settle at US$86.62.
“The whole market has lost confidence in everything,” said Mark Pervan, senior commodity strategist with ANZ Bank in Melbourne. “Everyone is worried about global growth, and oil is the front line commodity for that. There’s just a lot of panic and fear in the market.”
Investors were unimpressed by interest rate cuts by the US and other central banks this week to unclog credit markets and promote lending. A credit crisis that began last year in US subprime mortgages has spread across the globe, forcing governments to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to bail out banks, brokerages and insurance firms.
Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 index plunged 9.6 percent yesterday, while the Dow Jones industrial average fell more than 7 percent on Thursday to its lowest in five years.
“The problem is no one really knows how far and deep this will go,” Pervan said. “But we can see from the size of the rescue packages, this is a really serious deal. This isn’t a normal bear market.”
Investors even ignored signs that OPEC may cut production. OPEC said on Thursday that it would hold an extraordinary meeting on Nov. 18 to discuss the widening global financial crisis and oil prices.
On Thursday, the head of Libya’s national oil company, Shukri Ghanem, called on oil producing nations to cut output.
“OPEC is trying to jaw-bone the price up, but they’ll have to come into the market because no one is going to be believe just jaw-boning with the market sliding so quickly,” Pervan said. “The market is so demand-focused, it doesn’t even care what happens to supply.”
OPEC’s decision last month to cut production by 520,000 barrels a day failed to halt the losses, which have accelerated in recent days.
Oil prices have fallen about 44 percent since soaring to a record US$147.27 on July 11.
“We haven’t seen the bottom of this yet,” Pervan said. “We thought US$75 would be a floor but if the market mood doesn’t change, US$50 to US$60 a barrel is not out of the question.”
In other Nymex trading, heating oil futures fell US$0.0891 to US$2.33 a gallon, while gasoline prices dropped US$0.0863 to US$1.94 a gallon. Natural gas for November delivery fell US$0.224 to US$6.60 per 1,000 cubic feet.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his