Taiwanese prosecutors are seeking prison terms of up to 18 years for former executives of Far Eastern Air Transport Corp (FAT, 遠航), accusing them of embezzling, forgery and breach of trust surrounding the collapse of the insolvent airline.
Former chairman Stephen Tsuei (崔湧) faces 18 years in jail and Benny Hu (胡定吾), another former chairman, may get a six-year sentence, while former president Philip Chen (陳尚群) could spend 14 years in prison, the Taipei District Prosecutor’s Office said in a fax yesterday.
FAT on May 22 was granted a 90-day extension of its court protection from creditors after it stopped services because it lacked enough cash to continue operations. The defendants are alleged to have embezzled funds, contributing to the collapse.
Alex Lou (樓文豪), an executive of Angkor Airways Corp, an affiliate of FAT, was also charged and is facing five years in prison. Five other people have been indicted, the statement said.
Tsuei, Chen and Lou were earlier detained as part of the investigation, with Chen later released on NT$4 million bail (US$127,000) and Lou released on NT$2 million, the statement said.
Lee You-te (李有德), spokesman for Taipei-based FAT, didn’t answer calls to his office or mobile phone yesterday.
Hu, who left FAT in 1998 and is now chairman of the Taipei-based private-equity fund Whitesun Equity Partners (華生資本), denied the charges and said he was not aware of any wrongdoing by either Tsuei or Chen.
He said he had not been informed of the charges and had had no contact with investigators or prosecutors since he was questioned in May.
“Maybe they need a scapegoat for why Far Eastern went under,” Hu said in a phone interview yesterday. “I was amazed at what happened to Stephen Tsuei and Philip Chen with them [prosecutors] seeking such long prison terms.”
Meanwhile, the Civil Aeronautics Administration said yesterday it would decide how to deal with FAT after a court finalized the company’s request to restructure its finances.
Administration Director-General Lee Long-wen (李龍文) confirmed that the company still owed the administration airport landing fees and other miscellaneous charges — a total of approximately NT$160 million.
Lee said it could be months before the administration receives the money and that it may not be able to secure the full sum from the company.
The debts, once paid, will go to the civil aviation operation fund.
Lee said that the administration would also conduct an internal investigation to see whether its staff had followed legal procedures in seeking the payments from FAT.
Lee reiterated yesterday that the government would not take over the company if it goes bankrupt.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort