Nanya Technology Corp (南亞科技), the nation's second-largest maker of memory chips used in computers, said yesterday quarterly losses had shrunk significantly over a price rebound, adding it would trim capital spending this year to help accelerate recovery from the industry’s severe, glut-driven slump.
Taoyuan-based Nanya posted its fifth consecutive quarterly losses at NT$7.3 billion (US$240 million) for the quarter ending on June 30, contracting 17 percent from NT$8.78 billion in the first quarter, a company statement said. The chipmaker posted losses of NT$2.83 billion a year ago.
“The improvement is mostly because of better chip prices,” said Pai Pei-lin (白培霖), a vice president at Nanya.
Contract prices for dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips rose at a 20 percent quarterly pace in the April to last month period, Pai said.
Looking forward, Pai said net losses should narrow next quarter on the back of stabilizing DRAM prices, but the recovery may not be strong enough to bring Nanya back to profit any time soon.
“After a fast price rebound in the second quarter, we are feeling pressure from customers to further increase DRAM prices in August,” Pai said.
Demand is softening as rising inflation around the globe could significantly weaken consumers’ willingness to buy PCs and consumer electronics in the second half of the year, Pai said.
This was already reflected in the slower-than-expected demand during the back-to-school shopping season, he said.
Despite the narrowing losses, Rick Hsu (徐稦成), a senior research analyst at Nomura Securities Co’s Taipei branch, said: “we are still bearish about DRAM companies. The trough is not over yet as demand is still sluggish.”
“We don’t even know whether any DRAM companies will return to profit in the last quarter,” Hsu said.
Three months ago, some DRAM companies had expected the more than one-year-long series of quarterly losses would end in the next quarter, he said.
Partly because of slowing demand, Nanya intends to cut by 33 percent its capital spending this year, from NT$30 billion to NT$20 billion, Pai said.
“We plan to slow down our capacity expansion at FAB 3 [Nanya’s first 12-inch plant],” Pai said.
Coupled with the closure of an old factory, Nanya said the production growth rate should be 50 percent annually for this year, lower than the initial 65 percent estimate.
Inotera Memories Inc (華亞科技), a memory joint venture between Nanya and Germany’s Qimonda AG, posted net losses at NT$3.27 billion yesterday for the second quarter from losses of NT$4.18 billion in the first quarter, a company statement said.
Inotera had reported NT$273 million in earnings in the second quarter of last year.
Inotera would also cut capital spending for the second time this year to NT$23 billion, down 23 percent from NT$30 billion.
As a result of a better-than-expected technology upgrade and improving operation efficiency, however, Inotera’s output this year would grow by more than 60 percent from last year, faster than the initial plan for a 50 percent increase, company president Charles Kau (高啟全) said.
“That means a significant cost reduction,” Kau said. Fixed cost will be 30 percent lower, he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his