The tax refund bill proposed by the opposition Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has a slim chance of clearing the legislature this session as ruling lawmakers doubted it was necessary, though some agreed it could help boost private consumption.
The legislature’s Finance Committee is scheduled today to take up the bill, which seeks to allow taxpayers with an annual income of NT$495,000 (US$16,300) or less to obtain a tax refund of NT$6,000 from last year’s income tax.
The draft also calls for couples who earn NT$995,000 or less a year to get another NT$6,000 refund and an extra NT$4,000 for each of their dependents. It further proposes awarding a NT$4,000 subsidy to people who live below the poverty line.
DPP legislator Gao Jyh-peng (高志鵬) said the measure would be more effective in expanding domestic demand than the stimulus package introduced by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) administration.
The Cabinet has proposed a special budget of NT$130.1 billion (US$4.28 billion) to help local governments finance a variety of spending programs, with a view to raising the GDP growth by 0.45 percent to 4.78 percent this year.
“It would be more effective for the government to encourage consumer spending by giving the money to the people directly,” Gao said in a telephone interview.
Gao said the tax refund program would cost over NT$60 billion. He said the government could pay for it with surplus tax revenues as it had collected more taxes than projected in recent years, the DPP lawmaker said.
“The government could also opt to ditch the stimulus plan and use the money to fund the tax refunds instead,” Gao said.
Gao admitted that the tax refund bill was unlikely to make headway as the ruling party controls a solid majority in the lawmaking body.
KMT caucus whip Lin Yi-shih (林益世) said the ruling and opposition parties remained divided on the issue, and the review today would be limited to a general discussion to avoid conflict.
KMT lawmaker Lee Hung-chun (李鴻鈞) said he had reservations about the proposed tax refund. Like a stimulant, Lee said the proposed tax refund, while promising immediate relief, would prove no lasting remedy to lift consumer confidence.
The nation’s consumer confidence index dropped last month to its lowest point since November 2001 because of rising commodity prices and bearish stock market sentiment, the National Central University’s Research Center for Taiwan’s Economic Development reported on June 27.
“People will shy away from spending if fuel and food prices keep rising and their income remains unchanged,” Lee said by telephone.
He said it was more urgent for the government to adopt measures to contain inflation and boost economic growth, but that the tax refund would serve neither purpose.
Norman Yin (殷乃平), a professor from the Money and Banking department at National Chengchi University, agreed for different reasons.
Yin said the tax refund plan, while positive on consumer spending, would contribute little to GDP growth. Like extra social welfare windfall for the poor, Yin said, the measure would add strain to the nation’s fiscal health with national debts hitting NT$4 trillion already and expected to climb.
The government has proposed funding the stimulus plan with borrowed money, after the Ministry of Finance’s previous proposal to sell shares of Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信) to help fund the spending was stalled in the legislature last month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his