The Cabinet’s economic “stimulus package” cleared its first reading by legislative committees on Monday, but lawmakers and academics yesterday remained skeptical about how effective the plan would be in expanding domestic demand and reining in inflation.
The Cabinet has said the NT$130.1 billion (US$4.28 billion) spending program, together with a supplementary budget, could push the nation’s economy up by 0.45 percent, in addition to easing the impact of rising commodity and fuel prices.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Wei-cher (黃偉哲) said he doubted the Cabinet’s claim, as the bulk of the special fund, NT$66.8 billion, would be channeled to local governments to finance minor public works projects and absorb price hikes in construction materials.
“Insignificant public works projects can do little to stimulate economic growth,” Huang said. “The increased government spending is more likely to drive commodity prices higher than keep them down. The new government can at least learn to spend less if it does not know how to make more money.”
Huang also voiced concern that the spending package might add to the nation’s financial burden after the legislature scrapped the proposed sale of government shares in Chunghwa Telecom Co (中華電信), forcing the Ministry of Finance to agree to borrow an extra NT$52.8 billion to fill the gap.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lee Hung-chun (李鴻均), a vehement opponent of the sale, said the government would risk losing control of the company and the ability to set prices for a business involving public interests.
The planned sale would reduce the government’s stake in Chunghwa by 6.9 percent to below the 34 percent level that Lee and other party lawmakers consider optimal. Currently, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications owns a 35.63 percent stake in Chunghwa, whose capital stands at NT$95.58 billion.
Lee said borrowing money was not a better solution and that the root of the problem lay in the necessity and relevance of the program.
“I don’t think the package can really help expand domestic demand or boost the economy,” Lee said by telephone.
“Still, I will toe the party line when it comes to voting,” Lee said.
The extra debt is estimated to cost the government NT$1.37 billion in interest a year.
Minister of Finance Lee Sush-der (李述德) said this amount would not have an unbearable impact on the nation’s finances, although he previously promoted the sale of Chunghwa shares as the best way to raise funds.
Norman Yin (殷乃平), a professor at National Chengchi University’s Department of Money and Banking, said that, since reclaiming power, KMT officials appeared to be pursuing contradictory approaches in dealing with public debt.
While it was an opposition party, Yin said, the KMT had criticized the former DPP administration for wasting tax dollars on unworthy construction programs, but now it was engaging in similar practices.
“It is odd for the government to seek to galvanize the economy by spending money on dead people,” said Yin, alluding to Taichung City’s proposal to construct funeral facilities with its share of the funding.
The special budget is expected to quickly pass its second and third readings before the end of the current legislative session, because the KMT controls more than two-thirds of the seats in the body.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his