With the US auto market worsening for Ford Motor Co almost daily, managers told union officials on Friday that the company will have to further reduce its factory work force in the coming months.
The slumping US economy has cut US auto sales by 8 percent during the first five months of the year, but it’s been a double hit on Ford, General Motors Corp and Chrysler LLC as consumers shun their high-profit pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles (SUVs) for more fuel-efficient models as they cope with US$4 per gallon (US$1.0567 per liter) gasoline.
United Auto Workers union officials were told in a meeting that Ford needs to make additional cost cuts “so that we can make the vehicles in an efficient way that customers are buying,” Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari said.
At the meeting, attended by about 300 executives, plant managers and union officials from across the US, Ford reiterated previous statements that it would make buyout and early retirement offers at targeted factories as it tries to further pare its payroll.
Union members declined to comment as they were leaving the meeting.
Gattari said Ford is still trying to determine which factories would get the offers, but prefers to use them over more dramatic steps such as closing factories.
“We have a lot of cost-cutting elements that we can work on together,” Gattari said. “We’re looking at doing those kinds of things before we do anything more drastic that no one wants to do.”
Ford said last month that it would cut production of trucks and SUVs, but increase factory output of cars and crossovers through additional shifts and overtime and the realignment of some of its manufacturing capacity. The company also said it plans to accelerate the North American introduction of some of its small cars from Europe and South America, although it didn’t reveal which vehicles.
Industry analysts have said Ford simply has too many factories making trucks for a market that even the automakers say has permanently shifted to vehicles that get better gas mileage. Many are operating with only one shift, which is inefficient, analysts said.
Also last month, Ford announced it would further cut its salaried work force.
“We have to do the same thing in our manufacturing operation,” Gattari said on Friday.
During the past three years, Ford has cut its hourly work force by about 40,000 in the US and Canada, she said.
Earlier this year, Ford had announced corporate-wide buyout and early retirement offers for US hourly workers, but only 4,200 took the offers, about half of what the company wanted.
Ford now is hoping more workers will take the buyouts.
“We need the help of our local union leadership to help make that happen,” Gattari said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his