The Philippine peso fell this week by the most in two months, leading losses among Asian currencies, on concern that record oil prices would quicken inflation and slow economic growth.
The peso slid for a sixth week after Economic Planning Secretary Augusto Santos said on Thursday that GDP growth in the first quarter probably slowed to as little as 5.2 percent because inflation at a three-year high restrained consumer spending. Oil prices reached US$135.09 yesterday, double what they were a year ago. South Korea’s won and Indonesia’s rupiah also slumped on demand for US dollars to fund oil imports.
“Inflation is definitely weighing on the economic outlook, not just in the first quarter but for the rest of the year,” said Vishnu Varathan, a regional economist at Forecast Singapore Pte. “That’s adding to the peso’s weakness.”
The peso fell 1.5 percent this week to 43.465 per US dollar as at 5pm in Manila, the Bankers Association of the Philippines said, the most since the five days ended March 14. The won dropped 0.7 percent to 1,047.65 per US dollar and the rupiah declined for a third week, to 9,313 per US dollar.
The Philippine economy may grow 6 percent in the first quarter, the slowest pace in six quarters, a survey compiled by Bloomberg News showed before a government report on May 29. Growth was 7.4 percent in the final quarter of last year.
Central bank Deputy Governor Diwa Guinigundo said on Thursday that the economy “will definitely suffer” if oil prices remain above US$125 a barrel. The country imports almost all of its domestic fuel needs.
South Korea’s won fell to 1,057.40 per US dollar on Wednesday, the lowest since October 2005, on concern oil prices will increase the nation’s import bill and slow economic growth. South Korea imports almost all of its oil needs and reported a fourth consecutive current account deficit in March.
“The driving force of the won’s weakness is oil,” said Kim Hee, a currency dealer at the state-run Korea Development Bank in Seoul. “The market has received hefty orders from importers” to settle deals in the US dollar.
Asia’s fourth-largest economy faces difficulties, including the recent surge in oil and raw material costs, Vice Finance Minister Choi Joong-kyung said in Seoul yesterday.
The economy will grow less than the central bank’s forecast of 4.7 percent because of higher oil costs and a global slowdown, Bank of Korea Deputy Governor Kim Byung-hwa said.
Indonesia’s rupiah fell after Energy Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said on Thursday that the government would raise domestic fuel prices by an average 29 percent to reduce its subsidies, prompting protests from students and labor unions.
Malaysia’s ringgit pared a weekly gain after the government said it would also cut subsidies.
“Investors are worried about the inflation outlook, which is why the Indonesian rupiah is weak,” said Goh Puay Yeong, a currency strategist in Singapore at Barclays Capital.
Malaysia plans to reduce fuel subsidies within two months, Second Finance Minister Nor Mohamed Yakcop said on Thursday.
“The risk to the ringgit and other regional currencies is the spike in inflation from the withdrawal of fuel subsidies,” said Suresh Kumar Ramanathan, a rates and currency strategist at CIMB Investment Bank Bhd in Kuala Lumpur.
The ringgit traded at 3.2175 per US dollar in Kuala Lumpur for a 0.5 percent gain on the week.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his