An online advertising partnership between Yahoo Inc and Google Inc is facing opposition from consumer and civic groups that did not wait for an official deal announcement to voice their discontent.
Top Google executives said on Thursday they are interested in a partnership with their closest rival but didn’t indicate how close they were to an agreement.
A coalition of 16 civil rights and rural advocacy groups, including the Black Leadership Forum and the League of Rural Voters, on Friday urged federal regulators to investigate the potential combination.
The Black Leadership Forum is an umbrella group of 36 civil rights organizations, including the NAACP and the National Urban League.
LETTER
The groups argued in a letter to Assistant Attorney General Thomas Barnett, head of the Justice Department’s antitrust division, that the deal would give Google almost 90 percent of the search advertising market and strengthen its influence over Internet users’ access to information.
Separately, the Center for Digital Democracy (CDD), a consumer advocacy group, said it will push US regulators to block any deal and is already urging European consumer groups to raise concerns with EU officials. The EU generally takes a tougher approach on antitrust, fining Microsoft Corp US$1.39 billion for anticompetitive conduct earlier this year.
“You can’t allow Google to operate a portion of its leading competitor out of its back pocket,” said Jeffrey Chester, executive director of CDD.
MORE HURDLES
While previous attempts to block deals by both the CDD and civil rights organizations have proved unsuccessful, their opposition won’t be the only hurdle to a Google-Yahoo partnership.
The Justice Department has already made inquiries about an ad partnership test the two had for two weeks last month. And, Senator Herb Kohl, who chairs a subcommittee overseeing antitrust issues, said last month he would closely scrutinize any permanent deal.
Spokespeople from Yahoo and Google declined to comment on the groups’ letter. But Google executives said on Thursday they would seek to address regulators’ objections.
“If there were a deal [with Yahoo], we would anticipate structuring the deal to address the antitrust concerns that have been widely discussed,” said Google chairman Eric Schmidt.
Although Schmidt wouldn’t detail such a structure, analysts have speculated that it would operate the partnership as an auction-style system that would allow other rivals, including Microsoft, to show ads on Yahoo.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his