Cubans are getting wired.
The island’s communist government put desktop computers on sale to the public for the first time on Friday, ending a ban on PC sales as another despised restriction on daily life fell away under new Cuban President Raul Castro.
A tower-style QTECH PC and monitor costs nearly US$780.
PHOTO :AFP
While few Cubans can afford that, dozens still gawked outside a tiny Havana electronics store, crowding against its large glass windows and leaving finger and nose prints behind.
Inside, four clerks tore open boxes, hastily assembling display computers. By the time a sign went up listing the PC’s specifications, more than a dozen shoppers were lined up to get in.
“Look at that!” murmured Armando Batista as he pressed against the window. Although he can’t afford to buy one, he said, “these are good for a start.”
The gray and black QTECHs, complete with DVD players, bulky CRT monitors and standard-issue black mice and keyboards, are the only model available.
The Cuban PCs have Intel Celeron processors with 80 gigabytes of memory and 512 RAM and are equipped with Microsoft’s Windows XP operating system.
Both could be violations of a US trade embargo, but not something Washington can do anything about in the absence of diplomatic relations with Havana.
Clerks said the PCs were assembled by Cuban companies using parts imported from China. For about US$80 or less, buyers in the US can get a desktop with more than twice the memory, an 80GB SATA hard drive and 22-inch LCD flat screen monitor.
The crowded store in central Havana’s Carlos III shopping center is the only outlet in the country now selling the PCs. Clerks at a few other government-run stores — where Cubans must buy everything — said they expect to receive deliveries sometime after this week.
Brian Brito, 14, saved his allowance for two years to buy himself a PC for his upcoming 15th birthday.
“It’s good for playing games,” he said, while lugging his new computer from the mall.
But his mother had other ideas.
“He’ll use it for school, for learning,” she said. “And besides, it’s a form of healthy entertainment.”
Except for some trusted officials and state journalists, most Cubans are banned from accessing the Internet at home. So many of these new computers may never be connected to the Web.
Some people buy limited e-mail access on the black market, usually sharing an account with the authorized holder, who usually works for the state.
Even if they could gain access the Web, Cubans can’t shop online because they don’t have credit cards.
Raul Castro promised to eliminate many of these prohibitions when he assumed the presidency on Feb. 24, after former Cuban president Fidel Castro, Raul’s ailing 81-year-old brother, resigned. Besides selling consumer goods, he has ended bans that kept most Cubans from having cellphones, staying in luxury hotels or renting cars.
An internal government memo had indicated that PCs, DVD players, motorbikes and plug-in pressure cookers would be sold for the first time last month.
Everything but the computers made it to the shelves before the end of the month.
Computers have been sold on Cuba’s black market for years — at prices comparable to the US$780 now seen in the store.
But now that computers are available legally, some consumers expect black market prices to fall.
The government controls more than 90 percent Cuba’s economy, paying an average state salary of US$19.50 per month. But most Cubans have access to extra income through jobs with foreign firms, tips from working in tourism or money sent by relatives living abroad.
Thousands have snapped up phones and coveted kitchen appliances in recent weeks.
“Hotels, cellphones, DVD; Cuba is changing a lot,” said Oscar Perez, who came to help his 14-year-old cousin carry his new computer to the car. “That’s positive. But we want more.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his