Cash-strapped Far Eastern Air Transport Corp (FAT, 遠東航空) could finalize its NT$5 billion (US$164.3 million) recapitalization plan as early as next week if the board of Kinmen Kaoliang Liquor Inc (金酒公司) agrees to inject NT$2.2 billion, or NT$1 per share, for a fully-diluted 40 percent controlling stake, executives of both companies said yesterday.
However, the liquor company, which is owned by the county government, laid out two deal-breakers: if it failed to secure either a controlling stake or rights to appoint new management at FAT, including its chairman, president and chief financial officer, Kinmen Liquor chairwoman Joanna Lei (雷倩) said yesterday in a telephone interview.
“FAT has long been an underfunded company, but its financial crisis could be solved immediately with our proposed capital injection,” Lei said, adding that the company had conducted a risk assessment before Thursday’s board meeting.
The deal is still pending final approval from the Kinmen County Council, which is slated to review the liquor company’s financial assessment reports early next week before voting on the local government’s reinvestment plan next Thursday.
Kinmen Liquor’s reinvestment proposal aims to keep FAT flights between Taipei and the outlying island from being discontinued to prevent transportation problems for Kinmen residents.
Extending the airline’s warmest welcome, FAT spokesman Hanson Chang (張有朋) yesterday said the company was grateful for the capital injection plan proposed by Kinmen Liquor, which in late February became the first company to express willingness to bail the airliner out of debt.
“We look forward to facilitating the recapitalization deal,” he said.
However, Chang said Kinmen Liquor was not the only interested suitor, since several other firms, including foreign investors, had expressed an interest in taking up a controlling stake in the carrier.
“We will carefully coordinate among potential investors to complete the private replacement deal,” he said.
The likelihood of a foreign investor taking up a controlling stake on its own appears slim, as local regulations limit foreign investors to stakes of less than 25 percent in local airliners, while no more than 49 percent of a local airline’s shares can be sold to foreign investors.
Chang said Far Eastern Group (遠東集團) chairman Douglas Hsu (徐旭東) had also expressed an interest in a 15 percent stake in FAT after dilution.
Far Eastern Group, the biggest shareholder in FAT with a 15.22 percent stake, may have to spend another NT$300 million to remain a shareholder with a diluted 15 percent stake.
A market insider speaking on condition of anonymity yesterday lauded the airline’s success in attracting new capital, but said that there was some risk involved for potential investors, as the airline had not disclosed all the details of its financial situation or the size of its debts.
The airline is also planning to reduce capital soon after its recapitalization has been completed, which may cut the value of Kinmen Liquor’s reinvestment from NT$2.2 billion to around NT$1 billion immediately, the source said, urging the airline to beef up its future competitiveness and profitability.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his